To all the moms of picky eaters, when does it stop?

So my 13 month old has started the picky eating thing (so sad... he used to eat ANYTHING I would feed him). I'm offering him a wide variety of healthy foods, and then we eat together and he can decided how much or if he wants to eat (trying to avoid any drama or pressure since that really doesn't seem to work). I'm trying to prepare myself for the long haul, but when does it stop? When will he not reject the steamed asparagus or salmon? Heck, when will he eat a beef or bean burrito? I'm assuming this picky eating thing will go on for years, but are we talking 2-3 years or more? How long before your kid would eat most of what the family ate?

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 8:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• As a picky eater myself -- eh it never really stops. I've gotten better but there are still some foods I can't stand. Mostly because of texture - not necessarily because of taste. Just keep trying different foods and good luck!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son is 14 and has come around in the past year. He ate bites, but, was never happy about it until recently.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My kids always ate what the family ate. My youngest has problems with some textures and may skip something we are eating but just eats the other things. My 23 mo grandson likes lots of different things. There is no one right answer.

You don't want to have food battles. You don't want to make your child starve because he down't like what you are having. Have things available that he does like.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, for us- we just don't allow them to be picky. I know that at 13 months, you can't really "fight" with them... BUT, if it continues... you make them take the number of bites equal to their years. It works for us. Our kids know that even if they think they don't want something... they'll be eating either 3, 4, or 6 bites of it (I haven't started with my 19 month old yet because she is not picky at all!) whether they like it or not. We are very reasonable with what we make them try- as we are pretty picky eaters ourselves. With my oldest- it's meat that she doesn't like. With my son, it's veggies. With my 3 yr old... she wants everything at the table on her plate, but then doesn't want to eat it. Good luck mama!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Not necessarily. His tastes for food will change as he goes from baby to little boy. It just takes a little time to develop those eating habits since it really is all new to them in the beginning. When you first start feeding them each taste is individual.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It doesn't . I am 34 and still a very picky eatter
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think it's a normal developmental stage. Just when they are able to get up and run around, being picky might stop them from eating poison berries or dog poo or something.
    My oldest is picky, it's mostly a texture thing. Just feed him what he will eat, offer healthy foods that you want him to try, but your instincts are correct, don't make it a battle.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• its different for everyone.. my dd is a picky eater & i try my best to make something she will like.. But i dont force her to eat anything & dont starve her either.. (1 night she went to bed without dinner, the next morning she took a bite of her food & threw it up -- about 3 times!)
    Also my dh said he had to eat veggies as a kid he didnt like.. didnt help any cause even to this day he cannot stand the thought of eating certain food... In fact one night i slipped it in our food & told him mid-dinner what he was eating & he just threw it away .. he couldnt stand to take another bite..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010