I gotta lose some serious weight! Where do I start?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Health

• i always did 1200 calories a day and moderate exercise. it worked for me to drop 125 lbs. in college and also to loose all my baby weight within 6 months pp with all the kids. it works great at keeping the weight off too.... you're training yourself to eat better.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Portion control, healthy eating and drinking and get moving!! For us it meant cutting out sugar to begin with, only drinking no calorie drinks and get out of doors as a family. Good luck.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• They say that drinking two glasses of water before a meal, and reducing your calories helps you to lose the weight, and keep it off. Best of luck to you!!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Start by doing everything you can to increase the calories you burn. Park at the end of the parking lot instead of driving around for five minutes looking for a close spot. Take the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator. Take afternoon walks. If you don't already have one and are able to get one, get a dog! I lost 10lbs when I got my dog because of all the walking we were doing. Cut out soda (you'll lose 10lbs a year if you stop drinking it) and cut out fast food. =)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Good suggestions. Drink only water, no artificial sweeteners. The DASH diet is a good lifelong eating plan. If you go to google and type in superfoods you can get ideas for what to eat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• DH has lost a ton of weight by going off sugar and gluten
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have to say...I love soda, usually only have 1 a day, diet soda at that, and I am not going to punish myself for less the 1lb a MONTH. That is total crap.

I joined a gym and started calorie counting. I have gone from a 16 to an 8 in 1 year.

My friend joined a group on here called "The 30 day shread" and she is loving it
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I gotta do something. I lost 30 pounds but has gained 20 back. I am so sad and depressed about it.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My suggestion is to start with your diet. Excersise is an easy habit to get into, but teaching yourself to eat properly is a challenge. You don't need to diet, you don't need to starve yourself, you just need to eat right. This means that you're eating fresh veggies (frozen are good as well, just no canned veggies), fresh fruits (again frozen is okay), and whole grains. Make sure your meals are well balanced, and small portions. I'm not talking bird food, but I do mean a medium size dinner plate of food. Eat slowly, so that your body has time to tell you when it's full. It can take your body up to an hour before it says it's full and by then you could be overstuffed. Don't overfill. Cut out soda completely. It's bad for you in everyway, especially when you're trying to lose weight. Limit sugary treats, but you don't have to cut them out completely. Remember, junk food is okay, just in moderation. Pm for more.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Cut out sugar and salt, drink water only. GL. I'm fighting the battle too.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010