Iron levels and PLMS

My son had a sleep study done because of respitory issues and neurological issues our 8 specialists were concerned about. During the sleep study, he woke up a lot this night due to the hundreds of wires coming from his head and his head wrapped in guaze and a canula in his nose. Hed fall asleep, and theyd wake him up fixing somethine else. We didnt get any answers except that he has Periodic Leg Movement Syndrome, due to his low iron levels. There should be no reason his iron is low, it was42mgs. He takes poly vi sol vitamins with iron daily and is on toddler formula. My Dr wasnt too concerned and said all this is normal. I am for some reason having a hard time accepting her answer, as I think it is something to be concerned and its not normal, because of all his prior issues.
Any moms experience the same thing? What did your doctor say? What was the solution? Why would his iron levels still be low? Just say wut u know

Mommyof2n0308

Asked by Mommyof2n0308 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• ? I do not know but I hope you find an answer.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's difficult when children have to go through tests and have specialists. I had 3 children that were patients for years at a major children's hospital. I used to be a medical lab technician. You were concerned about your child's serum iron levels. This test is hard to understand and hemoglobin or hematocrit are easier to expain and understand. You don't say how old your child. is. The lowest normal for children for serum iron is 50 so 42 isn't way low. However you don't even want it to be low normal.

The functions in the red blood cell to carry oxygen to the body and brain. You don't want your child to be anemic because you want oxygen getting to his brain. Kids with lead poisioning get anemic and it affects their development and IQ. I'm sure they tested your son's lead to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Why could he be anemic. There are many reasons. Here are some of the normal reasons. Your diet 3 months before you get pregnant is important for early fetal development. If he has a sibling that is less than 3 years older than him that affects the iron he got in the womb. How the baby was delivered and how the baby's cord was cord was cut makes a difference. The iron in breastmilk is very easily absorbed and it's recommended babies be breastfed for at least 2 years. Regular (not baby food) meat should have been started around 9 mo. The iron from formula, vitamins, and cereal is hard to absorb and causes constipation. They may do little good. If he was premature that puts him at risk for anemia. Since he has anemia you have to give vitamins.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Feeding Vitamin C foods with high iron food increases iron absorption. The anemia could be from other reasons. The complete blood count is a screening tool that can help find if there are other reasons. If you go to google and type in anemia and iron level you can fiind some good info. I saw one web site that talked about the periodic legs but then I lost it and couldn't find it again. My grandson is climbing on me. You don't say what "all his prior issures" are so I'm not sure is anemia explains everything.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thanks for all your info. My son is 21 months. He has a condition called tracheobroncomalacia, on top of asthma, Reflux, and they have tested him for hydrocephalus. I have heard different things from the specialists, but the neurosurgeon says he doesnt have hydrocephalus, others say he maybe borderline but not enough to be shunted. They lso found a spot on his brain that they will do an MRI on in MARCH!! He alsoo has some swallowing abnormlities. Gosh, typing all this stuff is so hard, because he doesnt seem like this sick of a child.
    Mommyof2n0308

Comment by Mommyof2n0308 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Restless leg syndrome is caused by low iron levels in kids. You stated that he already takes an iron supplement. Does he eat dairy? There is controversy on whether dairy affects the absorbtion of iron. My son is sensitive to dairy. When we eliminated dairy from his diet, we were able to cut his iron supplement in half without RLS coming back.

My suggestion is to have an allergist do a food panel rast test for IgG antibodies. Usually they only test for IgE which is immediate allergy. IgG is counted and graded on a scale of 1 - 4 with 4 being life threatening allergy. My son scored 3 for dairy. There was a huge improvement in behavior & learning abilities also.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• hope you find answers!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2010