Is it normal that my child eats Mac n Cheese ONLY!

I try everything I should: vegies, meats...but they hit the floor or the wall.

Beverly B.

Asked by Beverly B. at 8:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• LOL... sounds like my 5 year old, although I must say he has ventured out and east PB & J, Bologna, cheese sticks and toaster strudel! I do give him a vitamin daily and he drinks his vegi's by way of V Juice....LOL....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• He/She just has a particular liking to that food but you are going to have to try really hard for the other food so he/she is getting proper nutrients . I would try even mixing in some veggies with the mac and cheese , like broccili .
    mamahol

Answer by mamahol at 9:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• lol...You can cook carrots or sweet potatoes, put them in a blender until it makes a paste, and then mix it into the mac n cheese. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How old is he/she? I think depending on the age, you probably need to really push the other foods. Mac and Cheese is not healthy, I think we all know that, sometimes I make it homemade with real cheese and with whole wheat pasta, at least that would be a little better than the boxed crud or the baby food jars of it. My son is really picky too and eats like a bird, now that he's 3.5 I can at least make him eat 3 bites of each food on his plate, I often bribe him, with a fun activity or his dessert, lol, but at least he's getting a little bit better nutrition. I can deal with that.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• This is a stage that will pass. Just when you give up and stock nothing but mac'n'cheese in your cabinets, then it will hit the wall LOL Just keep trying. Sometimes I would make what I wanted my DD to eat, then sit down as if I were going to eat it. She would come over and say "What you eating?" and then she would sit on my lap and eat it. She was only about 2 then.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's normal for a toddler/child to refuse other foods. They have their stages when they're super picky eaters and some children live a lifetime of being a picky eater. My son doesn't like trying new foods usually. He brushes them into his bib before he even takes a bite. It's really frustrating, I know. Just encourage her by eating it along with her. Letting her know that she's not getting Mac and Cheese this time, that she needs to try something else. I know it's hard to refuse her a meal, but sometimes you really need to stand your ground. She will eventually eat when she's hungry enough, so make sure that it's something new.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sounds like the picky eater stage. My little girl is stuck on peanut butter and jelly at the moment. Mac and Cheese was a few months ago.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It may or may not be normal, but it's definitely not healthy.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My youngest son would only eat about 5 things -- mac & cheese, pizza, Spaghetti-Os, hot dogs, grilled cheese and ravioli. He also ate corn but that was the only vegetable he ate, unless you count catsup. As he got older he branched out more and now at 24, he eats most things. It's not exactly healthy, but probably won't cause any long-term problems. He should probably be taking vitamins to help fill in the gaps. Could you hide any vegies in the mac & cheese?
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• try hiding things in his mac and cheese.. like meat or veggies with things like hamburger helper..

or try different cheeses.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010