Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can you ever get your child back if you signed over rights?

If a woman gave up her baby ( singed over the rights to the father).... can she later on somehow get the child back ( get rights back) ... even if it has been like 5+ years.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Answers (14)
  • I doubt it. I think it would be very, very difficult and require a good lawyer.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • I think so; a lawyer would know for sure.

    Answer by keisha613 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • In most cases no. It would be like getting your child back years after he/she was adopted. The law is like this so that people take it more serious and don't just through their rights away.

    Answer by colethky at 9:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Anything is possible. depends on the circumstances

    Answer by Momforhealth at 9:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • If the lawyer is good enough, all kinds of things are possible. Someone might try to say she was coerced or too sick or stupid to understand what she was signing, for example.

    Answer by coder_chick at 9:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • If her rights were terminated she can not get them back. Can't say she was coerced after 5 years NTM, she had at least 10 days to change her mind.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • You can but it is a l;ong process and not easy.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • Doubtful. One of my first cousins signed her rights to her daughter over to her father. About three months later she regretted her decision and got an attorney. The judge told her she had so many chances along the way to change her mind and she still signed away her rights. He said to speak to the father maybe he would let her see the child but the courts at this point could do nothing. Her ex was a nice guy and did allow her supervised visitation until she was arrested for selling drugs then he shut it down. The rest of us could see her he wasn't a jerk just a really good father protecting his child from a really bad mother.


    Answer by momtolucas2002 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • No. Not at all likely. Sorry. Not the answer you want. Not even with a good lawyer. Unless you can PROVE you were coersed and have actual evidence then you are shit out of luck. As harsh as it sounds - it is reality.

    Answer by frogdawg at 9:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • I would have to say NO.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.