What would your reaction be if your child's grandma told her that her tummy was getting big??

My dd is six years old. She is a bit over three feet tall, weighs 35 pounds and wears a size 5T. Well, today she was at "grandma"'s house while we took her brothers' to the doctor. Her "grandma" told her that she is getting a big tummy. WTF?? I was over there yesterday and she made a comment about the way my oldest son dresses and that my other son really needed to watch out because he was getting fat and won't be able to complete daily acitivities... WTH?? DS is eleven, five foot one and 104 pounds..... as for my oldest DS, he may be a little unique but hell, he is a great kid, respectful, stays out of trouble and is very family oriented... he will be 18 in a few weeks, he dresses the way he wants but he knows that if we are going somewhere he has to dress "normal". Mind you this woman is about 5 foot 4 inches tall and weighs over 260.....

What do you mommas think??

bcauseimthemom

Asked by bcauseimthemom at 9:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I would tell her to mind her own business, keep her nasty comments to herself, and if she didn't, I wouldn't bring them back over.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think you need the crapburger group.
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/32665/
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• 104 and 5'1" is not overweight! nor is a 3' tall 35 lbs 6 year old. tell her to stop putting her isecurities on your kids!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would tell her to mind her own business and stop taking my kids around her if she couldn't control her mouth.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• she's probably jealous of how much they weigh. my stepmom is like that. she hates the fact that i've always been thin even after having my son. so she says shit to me. tell her to mind her own business. they're your kids and are obviously healthy. that's all that matters.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If your kids were becoming over weight then I think it would have been apropiate for her to express her conserns to you. It doesn't sound to me like them are overwieght and her saying that to your children was out of line and probably hurt their self esteam
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would definetly tell her to stay out of my business
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Tell your children that sometimes grandma says things about weight and health because she is very fat and uncomfortable with it. You do not want your six year old to think that grandma is saying anything true. Young girls can be very sensitive to body image pressure. Make sure she knows grandma is wrong.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• They have both been in for physicals and the doctor was happy with the size of both children. I agree that if it was a concern she should bring it up with me....not my kids. My daughter is now chewing her food and spiiting it out... isn't that just great???
    bcauseimthemom

Comment by bcauseimthemom (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I did make sure that she knows that grandma is completely wrong. My DD asked me if grandma is supposed to love me why was she so mean to me???
    bcauseimthemom

Comment by bcauseimthemom (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010