Dark spirits vs. Light spirits

Our house is "haunted", which is no big deal because it's old and has way more history than we do. But, MIL was here yesterday and our younger daughter said something about it. MIL's reponse was "don't feel priviledged, anyone can have a haunted house" and "as long as you can see them and they are light it's fine, but if they are dark or you can only hear them it's bad". I REALLY don't like MIL and most of what she says is her wanting to sound important, but I know she grew up around magik. Is this true? We've seen "shadows" and I've heard a little girl's voice (when both of my girls were gone). I've also seen a couple of "orbs" and heard what sounds like creaking boards (as if someone were walking) but no one was there. Last night hubby and I also heard something hit our bedroom door (he said it could have been the house settling) and both kids were sleeping. Any ideas?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Have you tried cleansing the house? A little sweeping and sage couldn't hurt. The creaks and such are probably just the house settling...which is really not settling but the more of a shift in the foundation from the ground swelling and shrinking.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We haven't done anything like that. How do I go about cleasing the house with sage?
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, let me see if I can find you an article to read on it. I know my favorite author Ellen Dugan has a segment in one of her books. In a nut shell it involves sweeping each room, from the top floor to the bottom going clockwise until you get to the back door and sweeping all the negative energy out. You burn the sage and go around each room clockwise to cleanse the energy. I tell you what, let me go and get the info and I will PM you tomorrow, OK? I'm running out of steam to do it tonight! LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That sounds great, thanks!
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I like to burn salt to cleanse. Take a small cast iron pan and place a piece of tinfoil formed into a bowl. Pile up some sea salt, pour some alcohol on it (I like dr. Tichenor's because it smells good) and light the alcohol soaked salt. Go from room to room bringing the dish into each corner of each room. Open closet doors if need be. When the flame goes out add more alcohol and relight. Say a Hail Mary or encourage the spirits to "go to the light"...pick your own mantra and purpose. Then, when you are finished, sweep the whole house, dump the dust outside and leave the broom bristle side up to discourage unwanted visitors. As far as I know sage opens doors to the spirit world and is used by Native Americans during ancestor ceremonies to draw spirits in.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 9:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have heard this. I have experienced it ones with two shadowy figures, when they were around it was just creepy scary. There was also a light spirit which always gave a calming feeling. My dd said they talked to her. I do believe her, She named them to. The dark ones were little boys who told her to do bad things that she wouldn't do, so they get mad. Their names were tommy and joe. The light one she said chased them away and watched over her to protect her. She said her name was Sheba. I believed her because I know they were they I had experiences with both. However I do not believe this is always the case. Good luck. I suggest a cleansing of some kind.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I use salt and onion to keep the spirits out. I'm gonna have to try the sage tho never heard of that one.Thxs
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear before but I would not use sage. You want to discourage spirits from entering your circle, hence a cleansing ceremony. I had a Cherokee woman tell me once that "Whote people are funny (she meant odd) how they burn sage. We use it to speak to our ancestors. It's like your ouija board. Yet you all try to use it to cleanse. Silly. " then she laughed and explained to me that it is a deep drawing herb, not to be used lightly. I DO NOT suggest the use of sage unless you want to open doors. I suggest you try to close doors in the case of a haunting. Trust Me.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There ARE positive and negative energies- she is not wrong there. From what you say, the energy in your home has not harmed you and therefore, it's totally up to you if you want it to leave or just live with it.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• we have alot of stuff that happens in our house , we hear them we see them. seems ok around here. with a exception of a few. also make sure there is no negativity going on around the house that draws the negative energy in from what i been told.
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2010