My dad just took his bp and it is 172/119

Ok so my Dad is Diabetic and has high blood pressure and cholestorol. he just took his Blood Pressure and it is 172/119. Should I be worried? For the past two days he has not been feeling good at all and he is the type to not admit when he doesnt feel good. Do any of you know anything about BP? Is his BP in the "danger zone"?

gavansmommy

Asked by gavansmommy at 9:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Health

• 140/90 is in the danger zone he needs taken to the ER NOW
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Im here for you,,,once again I HATE these questions, cause we really dont know. Im not a doctor, or a nurse. Call your dads doctor or call the hospital. I just end up getting so nervous with these medical questions. Dont want to give bad info out to anyone, that could risk a life...please call either his dr or the ER,,and ask them,...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• PhoenixFire is absolutely right! He needs to go to the ER he is very real danger of a stroke.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would probably call his doctor ASAP
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It depends on what his baseline normal level that he usually runs is. But Normal is 120/80, so yes that is a very high level, is he on meds for high blood pressure, has he been taking them? If he's not on something he most definitely should get on something. High blood pressure is very dangerous when left untreated, it can lead to strokes, heart attacks, blood clots, and aneurisms. If he is on meds, then it just depends on what "his" normal is, but in and of itself, yes that is quite high.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i'm calling the advice nurse now, FYI he does have an apt 1st thing tomorrow morning
    gavansmommy

Comment by gavansmommy (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• He is on medication but he said that his systolic (sp?) is usually around 92. Yesterday it was 118 today it is 119, btw systolic I think is the lower number
    gavansmommy

Comment by gavansmommy (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Good, yes diastolic is the upper, and systolic is the lower. He probably needs a medication adjustment since it's going up, I hope he doesn't have any complications and gets seen asap. A good physical to see if anything else is going to cause the higher blood pressure would be a good idea too. High blood pressure can be a symptom of other things going on too. Does he watch his diet and watch his salt intake? Has he eaten foods high in sodium the last day or two? Good luck.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I hope he is ok! hugs and prayers!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• So my Dad just told me that his bottom number was higher earlier this week
    gavansmommy

Comment by gavansmommy (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010