Would you be mad, too?

I took my kids to the park this evening to play. There were two other mom's there talking and 3 other kids (1 boy about 4 or 5yo and 2 girls about 1yo and 2yo) I could not believe how little attention these parents were paying to their kids, letting them punch, hit, kick, scratch, bite, bodyslam each other. About 30 minutes in, the 2 girls come over to my 2 girls (2.5yo and 15mo) and start bullying them! These parents just ignore it and keep talking about how dead beat their "babydaddies" are. WTF. BE PARENTS. YOU ARE NO BETTER! Deciding these kids were too rough, I moved mine over to a smaller fenced in toddler area. Not 5 minutes later these parents move their kids over. They won't let my kids play on anything, so I just pick my kids up and leave saying out loud that we will just go to a different park far away. My kids were happy to leave. How sad! I feel so sorry for those kids! What would you do/think?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 9:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would definitely be upset. I don't think it's right when parents take their kids to the park and the proceed to pay no attention to them. To my kids, going to the park is a time when mommy and daddy play with them and spend time with them. We go to the park pretty frequently, and it bothers me even more when there are teenagers congregating all over the place!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i was at the mall letting my oldest daughter play on their playground. there was a little boy being mean. poking her and pushing her. i finally got up and met my husband. as we were walking back past the play area, the father comes and apologizes and says he didn't see what was going on. (ALTHOUGH HE WAS WATCHING HIS SON!!!!!!) anyways, since he had heard the conversation I was having with my husband on the phone while I was walking to meet up with him.. he walks out to us and says " I'm sorry for my son." I said relatively nice, " I accept your apology, but I don't want my child to learn to be mean. She will learn soon enough what violence is. She doesn't need to learn it from your son." He again apologized. I said thank you and walked away... Enough is enough when it comes to other kids being mean to your child...
    mcgoldricswife

Answer by mcgoldricswife at 10:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• WOW- Some people are Unbelievable! YES- i would of been Pissed- it wasn't worth getting into a confrontation with them; i would of left too! I'm glad your Little Lady took up for her self! LOL!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would be upset but there is really nothing that you can do about it. Removing them from the play area was probably your best bet.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I'd definitely been mad, too. But there's not really anything else you can do in that situation. It really is sad.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• HAHA, yeah. That's another thing that busts my buttons! Before we moved over to the toddler area there were teens over there congregating/smoking/littering/playing loud music/valdalizing a TODDLERS play area! (the reason we didn't just go over there in the first place) What are those kids thinking and is that all they can find to do?! Seriously?! lol
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure. They were letting kids work it out and it didn't sound like the kids were running back to parents and tattling. Parents can't be worse behaved than the kids. They can be too involved, yelling all the time, spanking, yelling at other people's kids, even biting kids. I would rather be at the park with these kids than a park with bad parents. I would tell my kids to stay away from them.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Why didn't you call the police on the teens? That's what you are supposed to do when you witness a crime.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My kids couldn't have stayed away from them if they tried, these kids were chasing mine to every slide, swing, toy they went to just to shove them off and tell them they couldn't play on it.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I did not notice the vandalism or littering until after the kids had left and we walked over there. As for the music and congregating in a child play area, don't think that's a crime.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010