Why is it so bad to give a baby cow's milk if they are weeks away from being one years old? adult content

my son has been bitting me now when he feeds- he has seven teeth and my nipples are very sore and tender, what should i do?

charonnichole

Asked by charonnichole at 10:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stopped nursing all 4 of my kids at 6 months due to teeth. Once I became the teething ring, that was it! LOL. I had plenty of breast milk in the freezer to use in sippy cups while getting them used to cow's milk. ALL my kids were on whole cows milk by the age of 9 months. And, when I say whole, I mean WHOLE. We lived on a farm and had a dairy cow. My kids are now 33, 31 and 18. Nobody got sick, nobody has high cholesterol. No allergies. Everyone is just fine.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's fine. At most daycare centers they are giving cows milk with meals at 9 to 10 with parent permission. I would give it to them with meals to get used to it, but they switched right over! Use whole milk for now too!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'd say if your DS is weeks away from 1 years old, it's probably OK. I think it's a general rule of thumb, to make sure their tummies can handle it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If YOU feel he is ready for cows milk, then give him the cows milk. YOU are his mother and YOU get to make the choices...no one else. My son was on cows milk at 8 months old and he did fine. It is a decision that YOU and no one else makes. Just watch for signs of allergy or intolerance. Which is something you should always be doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Its perfectly fine. My pedi had me introduce it starting at 11.5 months old. They just say to do it slow. Too much at once before they are used to it can wreak havoc on thier little tummies.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's not that it's really bad, it's just a general precaution. Cow's milk has enzymes that their little tummies can't break down until they are around a year old. Plus cow's milk doesn't have as much iron as breast milk or formula, so if you do switch, just make sure he gets plenty of iron enriched food. Your best bet would be to talk to the pediatrician and see what the best course of action would be. GL
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I started my son on cows milk when he was 10 months but its not recommended. Maybe you could give formula if you are not comfortable giving him regular milk yet.

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's not.

I started introducing Whole Milk at 10mths. I still gave formula also, but I would give 1 cup of real milk at lunch time.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You can always pump and give a sippy cup. Your milk is superior to cow milk, but like the PPs said- your baby, your choice.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I started giving my son cow's milk when he was around 10.5 months old. I pumped exclusively and that's when I noticed my supply starting to drop. I started mixing the whole milk in with the breast milk, but I didn't give him straight cow's milk until he was closer to 1 and I was still pumping a few weeks beyond his 1st birthday.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010