At what age should children be allowed to remain at home by themselves?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My girls were 12 and 8 when they were allowed to be home alone together.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It depends on the child. But here in PA they can't be home alone until they are 13.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If you are talking legally, I think it's different in every state. In my state it is 12yo. I think you have to judge by how mature and able your child is for yourself though instead of going by a number.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would say about 12.or 13
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 10:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I guess it would depend on the child. Legally i think the age is 12 or 13. I'll research it for sure closer to the time my kids are that age.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It depends on the kid.

In Maryland, you can stay home alone at 8. I leave my 10yr old alone for short periods of time, but he is a calm, quiet, 10yr old. Makes me nervous, but he has proven that he can be trusted
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Depends on their maturity and for how long, and how prepared they are to handle any situation that may arise.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Depends on maturity level. Also depends how they can think through a crisis. I would say 12 or 13 at the earliest, but check your states laws first.
    soccerfanatic13

Answer by soccerfanatic13 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It is not a matter of age but a matter of maturity...It was just a week ago that an older teen was watching a 6 yr old. teen was napping, 6 yr old answers the door and gets raped...That teen if she she had been mature would not have been sleeping while babysitting and the child would not have been raped.....Age is nothing when it comes to a person's sense of what is is important and being mature enough to make the right decision
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• military says 12, for up to 3 hours!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010