I feel so lost, I've been trying to potty train for more then 9 months now. She loves to sit on the potty but will not use it.

I'm greatful we are past the screaming stage each time I'd mention it, Thank God for small favors. I ask her every few minutes and she says NO. Then I find her panties are wet or hanging low in the rear..lol. We've watched Elmo goes potty that didn't really help. Please does anyone have some advise. My oldest was trained in less then a week, I feel like I'm failing my little one :(
We just bought a $70.00 doll that drinks and uses the potty, Dr. Phill say's it works in one day, but my girls wont let the doll drink the water, she wants it! Please Help Me, help my baby

Alexandra C.

Asked by Alexandra C. at 10:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's probably not working because she isn't ready yet. Wait until she is ready and it will be pretty easy to potty train her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How old is your child? We drove ourselves nuts trying to potty train our oldest. She knew how to go on the little kid potty at 18 months, but didn't feel like doing it anymore - like she said, "I've mastered that and I'm moving on". She was three before she was fully trained. We watched a video called "Potty Training in a Day", and seeing the kids littler than her going on the video made her decide to do it. I decided that I'm not going to stress over getting my son trained quite yet. He just turned two, and clearly doesn't understand what the potty is for. He can let me know when he's already gone, but not when he needs to go.

I don't think you need to buy anything else, since you have the doll and the video. You said she's already in panties. I'm not sure what would work (I'm not being much help, am I?). I would just say don't stress. When she's grown it won't matter how old she was when she was potty trained.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Potty training should not take that long. She just sees it as a seat and not as something you "use". I think you need to accept that she is not quite ready. Take her with you when you go and explain that you don't like "wet pants" so you pee pee in the potty.

Also, with my dd, as soon as she woke up in the AM, we would put her on the potty. It was a time when we knew she would need to pee and it helped her to connect peeing to the potty.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• when I had to potty train my little sister - i played music and made it a fun time and made up our own potty song and then she was relaxed enough to use the restroom- the other thing i did was dedicated a day where she used the bathroom every two minutes that ment was something was bound to happen at sometime during those two min intervals!
    charonnichole

Answer by charonnichole at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How old is she? I trained both of my kids at 2 1/2. They both showed signs of being ready. (Interested in potty, annoyed when wet/dirty) I used rewards. My daughter liked M&M's so she got 1 for everytime she pee'd on potty, 2 for poop, and 3 if she slept dry. I went full on underwear cold turkey. She pee'd herself 3 times first day and then she was trained. Her reward was a Dora Bike. My son I bought 30 matchbox cars put them in a bowl and same rules 1 for pee, 2 for poop, and 3 for sleeping dry. His big reward for training was a Buzz scooter. Both of them were trainined in 3 days. I would give her a 30 day break and then try again (if you think she is ready).
    Heather P.

Answer by Heather P. at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think a lot of people start training at a certain age because they feel like kids should be potty trained on a certain time schedule. (by 2 or by 2.5 or whatever) and kids jsut dont work that way! Your older daughter was clearly ready when you started. If you keep pushing the little one its just going to make things harder. Hold off til she is ready and it will be easy!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's how my son is, Iamgr8ful. He would go on the potty before he was even 1 1/2, but once he realized he knew what he was doing he didn't care anymore, and he's 2 1/2 now and will just sit there and not do anything. So I'm waiting for him to show me he's ready. Although if he doesn't before too much longer (by his 3rd birthday) I'm going to try to switch to underwear to see if being wet bothers him enough to get him to go...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010