my son has a constant dry cough with stuffy nose / possible allergies or what ?

i have tried everything, he is on meds for asthma if it flares up and also takes allegra at bedtime. he is on focalin, clonidine, allegra, zoloft ,strattera, for adhd.aspergers autism and other issues. pharmicist said i cannot give him anything with decongestant in it due to other meds. , ive tried saline water for nose, lots of fluids, sucking on peppermint candy,warm liquids, his albutrual and flovent,shower mist, and more. his dr said to add claritin in the morning.
it is not helping with that constant cough he has day and not.
we have had some hot weather here in south west michigan.humid at times.
i have centeral air in my home.
i tried a hot steam vaporizer last nite, but it made things worse.
tonite i put a coolmist humidfier in his room for about 30 minutes.
the cough has stopped for now ? would it have something to do with humidifier ? i thought with centeral air, you dont need a humidifier, only in the winter .

Windwalker2002

Asked by Windwalker2002 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• if it is allergies try a teaspoon of local honey everyday..(if he is over one) can you be over medicating? that just seems like a lot of meds for a stuffy nose and cough..( I realize some is for other things)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• the claritin was added yesterday morning , he was only taking the allegra at bed time.he has been on that about 4 months.his albutrual and flovent was added in feb, but had not needed it much until the begiinig of august when the cough started. he has not been running a fever. all the other meds he has been on for 4 yrs except the strattera was added in Feb and the zoloft about 3 weeks ago for anxiety.he was having anixity attacks about all the severe storms /tornados we were getting. he would not sleep and started taking baths or sitting in a tub of warm water upto 8 times a day saying he needs a relaxing bath. he doesnt really wash up, just sits in it for about 4 minutes. he is 11 yrs old..
    Windwalker2002

Comment by Windwalker2002 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Our younger daughter has allergies and they cause a bad cough in the late summer and fall. She's on allegra now, claritin really didn't work for us. Zyrtec also worked well for several years when she was younger. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Central air also pulls moisture out of the air so the humidifier will help. Also, if he is older than 1 year, you can give honey as needed since it's a natural cough supressant
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We've had the same problem with our 3rd DD - started giving her brand name Claritin chewables and she's been doing much better. We'd used generic liquid, and generic zyrtec, because we do all have allergy issues, and switching to brand name is what did it for her. Is the allegra for allergies, is it really necessary? I know when I was on it a few years ago it really messed with me but didn't help my allergies. It can take a couple of weeks to really notice a difference when starting a new allergy med, so give it a little time, and if it just doesn't help ask if you can give him zyrtec instead, and see if that helps.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• How old is he? That sounds like a ridiculous amount of medication, it's possible one may be conflicting with another...
    .JessicaRabbit.

Answer by .JessicaRabbit. at 2:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Have you tried limiting dairy products?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Has he been tested for food sensitivities? Has he had a Food Panel Rast test for IgG antibodies. I'm willing to bet food is his problem & with the proper diet eliminating trigger foods, he could be off all his meds including those for adhd. See an allergist.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I see you are in michigan. Dr Gilroy is awesome. He is in Lansing. He did my son's allergy testing the 3rd time & saved my son.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• ssteph, i had tried eliminating dairy and it didnt help. i had been using only rice or soy. a endoculogist (sp) tested him for celiac disorder
    and it came back normal. he isnt growing either .he is 11 and has weighed about 57 pds for almost 3 yrs, the same dr also checked for different growth problems and found nothing signifence. other than the neurofibromatosis he has along with his autism and adhd..
    Windwalker2002

Comment by Windwalker2002 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2010