One bottle at day? Normal at age?

my dd is 7mnths old and since she has started eating food more in the last few months she fluctuates on how many bottles a day she gets..like today she only wanted one and that was at bedtime..i have tried to give them to her other times during the day and she refuses...so im wasting the milk..her pedi says as long as shes not losing weight shes fine..any other moms been thru this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes its normal and as she gets older you would like to keep it that way because when she turns a year you will be giving her whole milk to drink.
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You should be giving the bottle before food. The solids that she eats...her body is not mature enough to digest the nutrients out of them so she still needs to get them from the formula/breastmilk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree, bottle before food, breast milk and formula are the child really needs til at least age 12 months. Foods at this age are "practice" more then nutrients.
    mommaoftwo

Answer by mommaoftwo at 10:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree to have her eat the bottle before food. But my son fought the bottle at that age too. My oedi said as long as he is growing, isnt showing signs of illness and is well established on solids and eats enough of them he is fine :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• She should be getting 5-6 bottles a day for a total of 24-32 ounces of breastmilk or formula, per my 7 month old dd's nutritionist. Solids should always come after bottles. But don't worry too much about it if she is still healthy, just get her back to drinking more milk so she satys healthy.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Babies need 32 oz of formula a day for brain growth until 12 mo. Formula needs to be the main source of nutrition. Feed formula first and then solids to make sure baby gets enough formula.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Uh, no, that's not normal and that's not okay - if a baby is on formula they need to be taking in 32 oz minimum per day - the formula is more important than solids, and has 100% of the nutrition she needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If your pediatrician says it's fine and your baby is thriving, I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Everyone thinks there's this magic amount of formula your baby needs each day and that is completely their opinion (I doubt the majority of breastfed babies get 32oz a day!). Every child is different. I do agree that you should give the bottle before the food but I don't think your baby isn't getting nutrients from the food you are giving her..
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 6:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Bottle before food. If she won't drink the milk, she doesn't get the solids. As much as I dislike formula, the fats are important for brain development.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son only drank 32oz of formula for like a month. No kiddo i know eats 32oz minimum a day. I was told by my pedi that was the maximum, not the minimum. Theres no way my son would drink that much at that age.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010