blood pressure?????

so iv been having some issues with swelling in my feet, ankles, hands and a little puffiness in my face, my normal bp is 106/60. when i swell, which is very sudden, my bp is up to 147/80. should i be worried? is this a sign of preeclampsia or something else. im 15 weeks pregnant and this has been happening for about a month.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 10:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes you need to contact your dr..i had pre eclampsia and it started out small and blew up over night..dont wait contact them in the am!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree, preeclampsia doesnt start until 20 weeks. I had it with my last baby. I had a BP of 198/119. Preeclampsia is nothing to play with. Get checked out by your doctor asap regardless.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Preeclampsia doens't occur till after 20 weeks, but you should contact your dr asap. High blood pressure is not something to ignore.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You can control this with diet.

Cucumber and watermelon will bring down blood pressure. Eat a lot of both.

Drink plenty of water. The more water you drink, the better able you body is to correct your fluid balance. You will swell to retain water when you aren't getting enough. If you drink plenty of water, you will release fluid appropriately.

Try to eat plenty of raw fruits and veggies every day. This will help keep your body alkaline and reduce constipation. Also, it will ensure you ahem the right minerals to regulate fluid and blood pressure.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, it is definately something that your Doctor needs to know about. Please call and let them know. Youneed to take care of you and your Baby. Good Luck mama.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, I would recommend regular measurement of your blood pressure like daily and taking low dose aspirin for supporting the blood flow to your baby and you can stop it at 20 weeks..my blood pressure also was high in third trimester but I wasnt eclamptic ..the placenta needs average bl pressure to be able to carry its role.Of course, visit ur health provider and she;ll tell u what to do exactly but don;t worry , everything will be fine :))
    nance209

Answer by nance209 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• PreE is defined as 2 readings 6 hours apart of 140/90 and proteinuria of more than 300mg in a 24 hour urine collection after 20 weeks. I am 26weeks now, but when I was 12 weeks I was diagnosed with PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) I had the high BP readings but NO protein. I now have 235mg of protein in a 24 hour catch. You should definitely talk to your provider. PreE and HELLP can slowly onset or quickly onset and this is when you need to be monitored. I am now on BP meds to hopefully lengthen my pregnancy. A good place to go is preeclampsia.org a lot of those women have had preE, HELLP, PIH, etc. and can answer your questions.

Also this site will help.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1184270-overview
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would contact your ob and make an appointment.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Its probably pregnancy induced hypertension this early in pregnancy. Not pre eclamsia yet. Either way you need to see your OB. Blood pressure is nothing to be toyed with!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• CONTACT ur doc ASAP or go to urgent care.. this soudns like preeclampsia. i did CNA and ur blood pressure is WAY too high.... drink plenty of water, and add some gatorade to your intake maybe once a day. but tons of water.. and eat healthy... and for the lady who said preeclamopsia doesnt occur until after 20 weeks. this isnt true, in most cases yes. but my mother had preeclampsia at 4 months! GL
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 12:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2010