Why don't people try to understand?!?

While reading these posts it's very obvious that the women on here don't do their homework about eachothers religions. I've even seen comments like "I don't care what you believe" or "I don't need to understand why you are wrong".

So my question is do you wish people would do some homework on your religion BEFORE they assume they know things about you and it. And in turn do you do any looking in to theirs before you open your mouth?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont comment on anyone elses religion out of respect for that persons values and opinions
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Oh, how I wish this would happen for other issues as well. Most religions teach tolerance but they don't practice it.

Personally, I like to learn about other religions. It stimulates my brain and helps me to understand why they choose to believe what they do, even if I don't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have my own beliefs, but I do try to ask questions and read things to educate myself on other beliefs. I kind of feel like you HAVE to do your homework. I was raised Christian, and I still uphold those beliefs today... but I read a lot and questioned what I felt needed to be questioned. I respect everyone's beliefs, and feel that it doesn't matter who/what you believe, as long as it makes you a better person.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• no- because if they don't care the "whys" of my religion- I don't care what they think about it
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't do a lot of research on other religions before answering, but I don't answer questions that are not addressed to my religion, either. Why should I, when I don't know enough to make an educated response? That being said, I have grown up with various forms of "Christian" religion and can answer about a lot of them, have taught in a Lutheran school (and studied that religion while there) and find religion in general an interesting topic. However, I don't think it's right for anyone to condemn another based on a mental model of their beliefs.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Religion is semantics the icing on the top of the cake But I do know this I have been several religions and always come back to my relationship with God. Learning about religions is always good.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i don't think anyone can truly 'understand' a religion that isn't theirs. you may learn the basic textbook definitions/wherefores/how-tos/etc., but really comprehend it? not possible. what cracks me up is when someone bases their knowledge on ''a friend/family who was an 'X' ''..really? i've know tons of motorcycle riders/owners/mechanics, and i've touched them, too..but i don't know a single first-hand thing about them.
    i'll just be honest with you..it hurts me and sometimes pisses me off to hear an ex-xtian spew hate-filled stories/opinions of their experiences with churches/xtians/etc..but i have to give them props for actually being in the thick of it and experiencing/living it, rather than simply read a website or 'know somebody'.
    i don't answer questions about other religions, for this very reason. i can't understand another because i haven't lived another.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If people did this then the world would be a much nicer place. People gonna think/say what they want without havin all the info. Thay's just too much like to to do your homework. lol When i dont know and need my points i just skip the question then on to the next to give an answer and get me points. I think some people just want drama a figure if that go after something like religion then they know they gonna get what they're seeking.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I do not comment on anyone's religion because everyone is free to believe in anything
    soccerfanatic13

Answer by soccerfanatic13 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• WHY do some of you spell Christian as xtians? How funny.
    I have read alot about religions and there are many things from religions other than Christian's that I appreciate. I think I could be a member of many different denominations and religions.
    I could be a Quaker because they do not believe in weapons,wars and killing. Neither do I,
    I could be a Mormon because they are devoted to Family and virginity before marriage. And they take care of each other.
    I could be a Jew because I think Jesus was a wise man and not the Son ofGod...and they say the Messiah has not arrived yet. That's how I feel too.
    See.....I agree that all religions have something to offer and I would never say "I don't want to hear about it".
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010