Pedophilia... adult content

Okay, so I in NO WAY think it's okay to rape or molest a child, please do NOT read this question that way!

But I've been doing some thinking. Most people now understand that sexuality is something born inside us, be it straight, gay or bi... We simply can't help being attracted to who we are attracted to... NOW, we all agree (I'm sure) that just because you're attracted to someone doesn't mean you have to act on that attraction...

But does this mean that pedophilia could also be an inborn attraction trait?

I'm not sure where to post this so feel free to re-categorize!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I've often wondered that.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think it's possible but I also think it's possible that they know it's wrong.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I was just discussing this with my mom a few days ago. Psychology tells us that pedophiles usually develop into being one due to something traumatic done to them as a child. However, there are also some that had nothing happen in which to cause it, and that makes me wonder.I'm not trying to compare the two, but a lot of people believe that gay people are born that way, and that they can't help who they're attracted to. So, can pedophiles not help it either? I find it insane to think that someone would CHOOSE to be a pedophile. I just don't know...
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I thought most pedophiles were mistreated as children, which would make it a mental problem from abuse not from birth.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i actually ran accross a website where pediphies were claiming this, and i personally think its absolutly dosgusting! how could someone say that rape or molestation of anyone is simply a sexual orientation? its not! its a choice and its wrong!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I believe that it can be inborn. I think sometimes it is learned from being abused too. And I certainly do not EVER condone pedophilia but I have read enough on the subject to have a little bit of pity on some pedophiles. They have urges toward children just like we have urges towards men...but they have to fight them constantly, and feel bad about them, and it just seems so sad. I have heard of some men begging to be castrated because they are so tormented by these drives that they don't want. It's a complex issue. (I was a Criminology major, what can I say, I like to read odd things.)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Pedophiles are controlers born no but made yes.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think it's been proven that a lot of these people have had some sort of sexual trauma or abuse as children that triggers abnormal or unhealthy sexual attraction/deviance. That may not be the case in all cases. I don't think this is an inborn trait, but I am not a professional by any means. Still think all pedophiles should be placed on an island guarded by sharks with no one but each other for company.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, I'm not questioning whether or not the act is wrong. But it's been proven that "treatments" don't work. Could this be because you can't fix nature? It's also been proven that children who are abused by family members are more likely to become abusers than those who were abused by non-family members. Does this mean that it could be a trait which is passed on genetically, or is it that those people simply grow up believing it's not wrong because they lived with it for their whole lives?

I think the vast majority know it's wrong, and CAN control their impulses... But I wonder what makes them tick in the first place...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Cassie, we aren't saying that rape and molestation are a sexual orientation... The Attraction which leads them there, that's the orientation... Rape and Molestation are wrong no matter if the victim is a child or an adult...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010