Anyone have any experience with their baby being so low on weight and hieght that they didn't make the growth chart?

I took my baby (she will be 20 months old on Sept. 7th) to a pediatrican (a new one because we just moved cross country). She weighed 24 pounds and was 34 inches tall. She wieghed 8 pounds 3 ounces at birth. She eats like a horse and loves sleep. She is a happy little girl. I am concerned... When the pediatrician broke out the charts and showed me the dot UNDER the chart of where my baby is- I was puzzled and asked " so what percentile does that put her into?" The pediatrican said she didn't make the chart! This has never happened before. She sent for my baby's records from her last pediatrician to compare. But I know my baby was always in the middle of the curve on that chart (even 3 1/2 months ago!)
Has this ever happened to your baby? If so did they know why?
Thanks

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 10:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My grandaughter who is now 3 weighs about 24 lbs. she has been to 3 specialist who all have reasurred us that she is growing despite being under the scale. They tell us she is just small. I have another grandaughter and grandson who are small but not quite to the same extreeme. I am small also and an aunt on the mothers side is samll. they tell my ds &dil she is just going to be little. not to worry unless she quites growing altogether.
    nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter didn't get on the growth chart until 2 years old because she was a preemie.

Check for growth chart calculators online. She seems to be in the 31st percentile in weight, but <3rd in height. Her dr is concerned about her height.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• are you sure she did not make the charts? I am not sure how much my daughter weighed at 20mos but at 2 she was only like 23pounds and that was like the 7th percentile. She eats but doesn't gain too much.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son was shorter and weighed less than yours at that age. He was always 50th% until recently. He was 22lbs and 33in. If she is steadily growing and gaining...then I wouldn't worry too much.

I found a growth chart. She is in the 26th %

http://pediatrics.about.com/library/growth_charts/ngirlsbirth.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter has been off the chart a couple times for low weight but the ped. didnt seem concerned because she is very healthy and a visibly happy little girl. My daughter is 16 months old and only weighs 21 lbs. She ,like you said, "eats like a horse" but she is VERY active, I dont see how she can gain any weight the way she runs around ALL day! I wouldnt worry as long as you know she is recieving balanced nutritous meals and is in all other ways healthy.
    Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 10:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thanks- I wonder if she had my daughter's age in wrong nw?? She measured her hieght twice? But it doesn't make sense... My daughter has issues with early puberty-- so I wonder if there is a different chart for that? I just can't understand how she was so mistaken to show me the dot and tell me my baby didn't even make the chart for hieght or wieght?
    newmamanew2town

Comment by newmamanew2town (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I just entered a 24 lb 20 month old into baby center's percentile calculator and it said she is Weight = between percentile 25 and 50
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The ped's office is near my hubby's work...so he's going to go in there and talk with the person we saw today. Yeah- it was hard to bleieve when she said she didn't even make the chart... (I'll bet she was using my son's birthday (because they were in there for appointments together...if that is the case he is almost 4... I can't think of anything else that could be reason for her to say this...especially when she was puzzled and re measured my baby. I am so glad I cam on here... because I was so worried on the way home from the office!
    newmamanew2town

Comment by newmamanew2town (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010