What to do with pedophiles? adult content

What do you think should be done with men or women who are pedophiles, and have acted and been prosecuted for the act. Most sex offenders who commit crimes against children do it again given time. What is a fitting punishment? Castration? Life in prison? Death penalty? All thoughts, opinions, ideas welcome. (This question is a spin-off of "Pedophilia..." asked not too long ago, didn't know where to categorize it either, so feel free to re-categorize.)

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 10:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• As I said before, they should be put together on an abandoned island surrounded by sharks and land mines with no one but themselves for company. lol. Separate islands for men and women so they can't breed, too!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't know but I'm not going for Life in Prison...why reward them by keeping them alive on our money...however, if they were guarateed to be put in with general population, sure...they don't like people who harm kids.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Life in prison where they can do no more children harm.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• WAIT! Kword gave me an idea! Put them in our armed forces for life and they are the ones sent to hostile terratories.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• HAHAHA! I love you, Jademom. LOL
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I like Kword's idea!!
    Annabel1809Lee

Comment by Annabel1809Lee (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I just read your answer to my question and was going to post this very question... lol!

I don't honestly have an answer for you. Like with any other form of abuse, if we let them out of prison there is a 80%+ that they will reoffend... BUT, leaving them in prison only hurts tax payers and I don't believe rape or molestation to be something which should be punishable by death... Castration doesn't really do anything and we have to trust them to keep up with depo shots...

But my question is why isn't there actual HELP for them? Many pedophiles know what they are feeling is wrong, they know their actions are wrong and many don't act on their feelings... What about them? Why do we wait until they have ruined a child's life before we are willing to act? Why not set up programs (something long the lines of an AA style program) to HELP these people BEFORE they offend?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Because they would be too ashamed to admit that they needed help before they are caught.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Once they've acted on their desires and have actually harmed a child, they should be castrated in my opinion. If they're going to use their penis as a weapon, they shouldn't be allowed to have it (working, at least). I say the same for rapists.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think they should be placed in mental institutions, and be required to go through very intense therapy. There are many people in these institutions that will be in there for life, because they are not fit for society, life in prison would work too, I think the therapy needs to be involved where ever they go. I wouldn't want them to harm any more children. I also think it would depend on the severity of the case.... A 16 year old and a 19 year old could be very different situation (it would depend on the facts involved) and should receive a different punishment than a 5 year old and an adult.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010