17 month old takes off pants and diapers CONSTANTLY!!!

What should I do??!! He has been very interested in potty training, so I have reluctantly started with him, knowing it will be a long, slow process due to his not taking it seriously enough. He asks to go "pee-pee" and often he does or at least tries, and sometimes he just sits there and plays games with me.

The biggest problem is that he can take his pants (even with a belt!) AND diapers off, and runs around the house with just a T-shirt. I know that it is an "opportunity" to potty train when he does that, but he also does it in his crib and ends up peeing, and even worse, pooping (!!!!!!) in his bed! DISGUSTING!

I don't want to discourage his progress and interest in potty training, but we aren't moving fast enough for this to be worth it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put the diaper on backwards and make sure to put a snug onsie on over it. He is probably not interested in potty training yet, but has figured out how to take off that diaper. If he can still take off the onsie, put it on backwards too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter same age do it too. I was thinking of getting her a potty and some pull-ups.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I know I shouldn't laugh, but this makes me giggle! What a funny boy! I have an 11-month-old, and I'm probably going to GET IT for laughing at this!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Good to know we're not alone, my 18 month old foster son does this too.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I laugh only because our friends little girl does this...but she once took her diaper off while mid poop over my beige carpet! LOL I FREAKED!!!!!! LOL Try putting him in underwear? Couldn't hurt, just to see if he likes it enough to leave it on. Otherwise, stock up on some snap crotch onesies!! I think they make them up to 2T! (probably for that particular reason! Lol) Good Luck!!!! Let us know what works! :P
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• my son, age two does the same thing! i think that he thinks that it is funny or something, so when he goes on the potty i praise him with stickers. in the childrens bathroom we have a chart saying that he we pee or poo. then if he gets the whole chart filled with stickers, he gets a special surprise, and if he takes his pants off or goes in his crib a sticker gets taken away. :)
    kate78966

Answer by kate78966 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thanks for your answers!! We have been putting him in onesies and overalls (which seems more of a punishment to myself for two reasons: #1 obviously more work to get him in and out but mostly for #2 he just looks so dorky!). Anyway, we have also stopped the potty training...

He still asks occasionally to go pee-pee in the potty, and he still knows what to do and is happy when he is praised, but he is definitely not in active training anymore. He seems to understand the idea not to take off his pants and diaper. Oh, he still does it, but not nearly as often, and he totally gets his punishment is the overalls. Thanks for laughing. I'm glad some of you found it funny. I can laugh now. :) Have a great day!!
    SummerBug

Answer by SummerBug at 4:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010