Do your kids ever want to celebrate something that you don't believe in celebrating?

Is there any activity or holiday that you or your religion doesn't believe in celebrating? If so, how does it affect your children?

I'll use trick-or-treating as an example. If you don't let them, do they ever ask if they can anyways? Do they feel like they're missing out?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We're Catholic, but I love celebrating any and all holidays I can get my hands on. The celebration can focus either on something personal to our family's faith (such as Christmas) or can be used as a way to further understand another culture or religion. I don't think that having a special meal or exploring a practice that we wouldn't normally do is wrong - I think it helps us all to better understand other people.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Nope. We dont trick or treat instead we go to Trunk a Trick and Carnivals held @ the local churches. For Christmas she knows that its not Jesus real birthday its just when we have his party on the 25th. She knows that Santa not real and I purchase the toys she picked out. I dont lie to my dd6yr and she has tons of questions that i try to be prepared for lol.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Halloween...When the class have a party at school I let them participate because they are just kids and dont really understand why we dont celebrate it. And I dont want to take away from their happiness by sitting out on the party.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• There are no Holidays or Celebrations that my church does not allow us to celebrate. I don't think Hallwoeen is a bad thing. My kids have always celebrated all holidays and soecial occasions. God does not disapprove....only silly people do.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, Christmas. We still do it though because they enjoy it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, I'm Pagan, my DH is Christian. So I celebrate (in one form or another) Christian holidays right along side their Pagan counterparts... And my children get both. If it wasn't for my DH's beliefs though, I wouldn't see any point in celebrating them being they all have Pagan counterparts...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Halloween....my son particpates in the classroom party which is called Fall festival but we do not allow dressing up (the school does not either) or let him go out to get candy. We just tell him its not part of our religious beliefs...he only wanted to do this once and shows that he is satisfied with having the classroom parties

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well my dd informed me today that she wants to celebrate Hanukkah because one of her friends is Jewish and she like the idea of getting presents for 8 days. LOL
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think that with Halloween, it's only evil if you make it evil.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010