i hate our new dog (sort of long)

that is very hard for me to say bc i love animals and i believe in giving them all a far chance, it was my husbands birthday gift we have a 4 yr old schnauzer which i love to death and he loves the new dog. we got her at 5 weeks as a rescue, she was normal, and doing good learning things, i taught her sit shake lay down and she learned all three by being shown once, but she will not housebreak, and she eats kitty litter and she digs giant holes in the yard and eats off our plates and runs away out front(we have a large fenced in back yard) i cant stand her every single day she drives me nuts i walk her feed her love her and she acts insane in return. she is 5 months now i know shes still a puppy and i dont really believe in getting rid of a pet once you get it but if someone awesome wanted her......id have to think about it you know? what do i do. she is getting fixed next week will this help?

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pets

• fair*
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• For you and your family's sake I hope it helps and it all works out for you. Pets..... gotta love them. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• She just needs to be trained. She's acting as most dogs would. As she gets older she'll calm down and as far as digging and eating things she's not supposed to thats just dog behavior and she needs to be trained on how to do things. Our dog did the same thing (and she still tries to eat cat litter) She would dig giant holes and go for all the food in sight and it took a while but she finally learned how to behave...well she still digs but not as much
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• im just not use to having to train lol every dog ive had has been calm in nature and really not this high strung she is coon hound/golden retriever mix shes good w my son and the kitten, but those are her only perks, if i just train her in general will it fall in to place or do i need to address each problem bc there are a lot lol i hope i can get use to her
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• With our dog, who is also a rescue, we had to address each issue. She is a lab and who knows what else, but at first she was also very hyper. But she was amazing with my son and that's all that really mattered to me. It didn't take long though for her to get it after each issue was addressed. She would jump up on DS too and I had to address that as well and with her digging I have a place in the yard where she can dig all day so I redirected her there and she's great now.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have four dogs. Our second dog is a whippet and she drove me NUTS!!! She ate every single pair of high heels that I owned, ripped toilet paper and dragged it thru the house, she would run away and I would spend hours, ... HOURS chasing her in the car... I started to fantasize that she would run away and not come back.... She was my favorite topic to gripe about. Then one day someone said if you hate her so much then get rid of her! That was when I realised I didn't hate her, I just expected her to be perfect without my having to do anything. So I taught her to come when called on and off a leash. I taught her to back away from the front door on command so she wasn't always rushing out the door. I focused her energy and now four years later she is the most laid back dog I own. Its hard to believe she is the same mad, crazy shoe-eating house tee-pee ing dog she used to be.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 11:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i know labs, or any retrievers are hyper and hard to deal with puppies, i dont really mind the yard but she tracks in all the mud, lol and she isnt small so its a lot, i guess i shouldnt complain she could be a lot worse, its probably the end pregnancy that is making her seem worse to me. i gave her a pool out back bc she loves swimming i thought it would help w the digging bc shed be busy but now she just does both lol all three of our pets are rescues i thought shed be the easiest bc she really didnt have "baggage" she was taken from a hoarder, my first dog was wo human interaction for the first year of his life kept in a pen outside, he was scared but mostly greatful for having a life ( he was fed but that was it and barely shared food w a rott and english bull dog) and our kitten was dumped and feral but came around in a week, Bella she is just a handful! must say i feel better getting this off my chest
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• that makes me feel better moka, my dad actually said post her on the ads but i came up w a million reason why i wasnt going to i am going to try to put more time into and hope she grows up better lol
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Your dog is a baby - you said you know this but do you?

Housebreaking - any issues in that department fall upon you and your husbands head. If you are consistent and persistent there is no reason you can't housebreak a dog in a few weeks.

Mischieve can also be minimized with crating and tethering.

Some may say "not me.. im not doing that..." wellthen which is nicer for your dog - crating and tethering them while you are busy or being cross and angry with them when they do what they do?
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 7:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010