Do you think that teachers should keep their facebook pages private?

I read a post which stated:

I was bored and searched my daughter's teacher on facebook. She was on there and her profile wasn't private so I was looking at it. All of her pictures were of her at different parties/bars and in every one she had a beer in her hand and she was bumping and grinding with a different guy in every pic. I don't care what she does in her free time but what if other moms look at it and get pissed? Those pictures could come back and bite her in the ass lol. What do you think?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think once she is off the clock...I don't give a dang what she does.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yeah, and what if her students see it? Private would be a good setting.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think to benefit themselves they should keep them private, but I also think a lot of people should keep them private, and only viewable to friends and family.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I can see what you are saying. In my opinion, shouldn't most things on FB be kept for friends to see and not for just anyone to see?
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't give a crap what she does off the clock either but she should be smart enough to make the profile private. Children do look up to their teacher and if the child sees it, they might lose respect for their teacher or think partying is ok.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• YES

People are fired everyday for what they post on the internet.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, they definatley need to keep them private from the public. It's one thing to allow your friends to see but for anyone to be able to find you and see it is another story.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• As someone who plans on going into teaching, once I become a student teacher everything becomes private. I even know some people who make separate pages, a completely private one, and one with certain public things their students/parents/co-workers can see. When you work with children or have a job where your integrity and private life can come under scrutiny you have a certain level of posterity to maintain. Simply put- your students or their parents shouldn't know that your facebook status on friday after school is
    "goin go to the bar"
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• While it doesn't bother me what they do, I think it would just be in their best interest to cause there are people out there that do.
    JillMH

Answer by JillMH at 11:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The teacher is immature and she is taking a big chance by posting those pictures on Facebook. WHat is it wth Facebook anyway? People seem to go nuts and become EXHIBITIONISTS! Really! A teacher or ANYONE who parties and bumps and grinds and posts those pictures is nuts! Tacky, no taste. Ugh.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2010