Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

*Warning* This may be a touchy subject. QQ about reliquishing parental rights voluntarliy

Short of telling her to get a lawyer I have no idea what to tell her. My cousin has more than one child, but she wants to reliquish rights to ONE of them. I think this is absurd, but at the same time I think that he needs to be with people who will love him. She shows him no love, nothing. She simply does the basics. She clothes him, feeds him, gives him a roof over his head. But when it comes to spending time with him....Nuh uh. Her other 2 children are put on a pedastel. She's taken the other 2 to the Zoo and has done picnics with them. She'll sooner drop him off with family or a friend. I dont think he's even been to the STORE with her!! She has admitted that she DOESNT love him. She doesnt feel bad for it either. She has talked about giving him up before, but she doesnt want to give up her other 2. So my question is, CAN SHE RELIQUISH RIGHTS TO JUST HIM?? Without repercussions?
He deserves better than her.


Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 21 (11,387 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • Yes she can. The sooner the better too, he needs love before he ends up with irreparable damage from not having a healthy attachment to a primary caregiver.


    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • yes, you can fill out a form you get from the court house, and give up your rights to that child with no repercussions. You can even transfer placement or do it permanentlyor temporarily


    Answer by sheloveearth at 11:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Hopefully a family member can take him, he needs love.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • she can relinquish rights to him yes. I'm not going to say there are no repercussions though. If there are problems with the other two with custody battles in court, it could hurt her case.

    But if the child isn't loved, it's best for him to be with someone who can give him love, so I suggest she do what is best for the child.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Sure she can. Does she have someone that is going to accept guardianship/take over? My ex gave up his rights to our son, and has 4 other children who live with he and his current wife. Sad, but it happens.

    Answer by blessedwithree at 11:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • I think she can, but I think that is drastic. I think she needs counseling.

    Does this other child have a different father? The father has rights and he may very well protest this decision, and I think that she will 100% regret it

    Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • I'm pretty sure that she can. She can put him up for adoption to the couple that want him and will treat him better. Have you talked to a lawyer about it or at leasthas she?

    Answer by elly25 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Yes but in order for the state to not persue the other two kids it would help if the bio dad was taking on full rights of the child she no longer wants. And if thats the case if the bio dad does not agree she may have to pay him child support even though she no longer wants to see the child. If she just flat out gives the child up to the state they will make her pay child support and possibly open a case for dcfs to check on her other two. If the bio dad is not around than the best situation is to have a family member adopt the child. by doing so she gives up her rights and they ask alot less questions in that case.

    Answer by mymestey at 11:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • How sad.

    Answer by sta517 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • That is to sad I really hope she does give him to some one that loves him that poor boy It makes me think of that book a child called it apart from the abuse though her not loving him is mental abuse and he needs love fast or he will be tormented in his head no kid deserves that.

    Answer by nikkole42 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2010