Any unusual naming traditions in your family?

Absolutely none in mine (that I'm aware of, LOL), but my SIL told me once about her family's tradition. They are Russian and I noticed that she and her sisters all had similar middle names. She said yeah, she and her siblings (both brothers and sisters) all have a variation of their father's first name as their middle name. Kind of interesting. She didn't carry on the tradition with her son however (don't think my BIL would have let her anyway, LOL).

Well I do have a tradition I guess. We're all CBs, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Baby Names

• Only my SIL named all five of their girls with "C" names--first, middle AND last! She was married to an old world Italian man, and apparently it is traditional to name your children after the father's family surname--which began with the letter "C."

The rest of us simply selected names we liked. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• In my family babies are named after a relative to honor that person. So we have a lot of the same names. Mostly Pauls and Dominics. My husband and I named after relatives, but from his family for two kids and my family for the youngest. Our boys all have the same middle name as their dad.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have two nephews whose names are Trace and Link. They are brothers and quite often Link is referred to as the Missing Link. Poor guy.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• First son on my Mom's side is always given the middle name William.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Kind of. My two cousin's both have the middle name Cole for their son's middle name. My cousin/sister (we adopted her) and I ave Eric for our son's middle names. I hopping that both my son and nephew keep that up in memory of my cousin (her brother) that was murdered.The name Charles is another name thing. All of my uncles children that are male are named Charles. Having Ann asa middle name is another one in my family.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, my family's girls' middle name is Gail and boys are Matthew. I didn't carry on the tradition because 1. I don't know how it started and 2. I don't like the name Gail. Plus, it wouldn't flow well with Paige. And my middle name is not Gail either, my dad didn't like it so he didn't let my mom carry on the tradition either.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• All my female cousins names start with a D .... But My Mom broke it by naming me Tammy, lol so I never carried it on either.... (I'm the youngest of the cousins, Mom's sisters were quite upset with Mom for breaking it, lol)
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have heard of that Russian Tradition. I think it is kind of cool

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 8:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• we are all k names but my hubby and i went with n in the ending of our kids names
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 4:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My sisters and I named all our children names from the Bible. It was intentional as it started with the first 4 of our mom's grandkids, and when the last 4 came along we figured we'd just keep the tradition going.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010