Why is my son freaking out at bathtime?

He used to love his baths and now it is a fight just to finish one. He cries and tries to grab me to get him out. I can sometimes coax him through it with his toys, but tonight he wanted none of it.

maxsmom327

Asked by maxsmom327 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter starts fighting us with bathtime I find it helpful to buy her a new rubber duckie (we get her the little decorated ones). She loves the idea of having a new friend with her. Also try Jhonson's nighttime baby soap. The scent is really calming.
    lovinhurts88

Answer by lovinhurts88 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Sometimes things happen and we just don't know why our children decide that suddenly they hate something. On the plus side, in all likelihood your son's fits at bathtime are probably just a phase and eventually he'll love baths again. My son went through a phase not all that long ago where he went from loving baths to hating them. About a month later, he loved them again.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• MY SON DID THE SAME THING TOO...HE LOVED BATH TIME AND FOR A WHILE HE WOULD SCREAM HIS BOOTY OFF...THEN HE STARTED TO LIKE THEM AGAIN...UNLESS SOMETHING HAPPENED TO HIM WHILE YOU WERENT AROUND IF NOT THEN ITS PROBABLY JUST A PHASE
    SATX23

Answer by SATX23 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son went through that phase for about a month... he LOVES bathtime, but would SCREAM when we put him in the water. We just kept doing it as usual, and he eventually got over it. Good luck.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Annalyse did that for a couple weeks. i bought tub markers and paint, ohhh she loves them. now its a fight to keep her from trying to get in the tub and getting out when we are done.
    virgo_mom

Answer by virgo_mom at 4:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We bought one of those shower heads that have a hose on it. We turn the water on low and let them "Clean themselves" of course I still wash them but they really enjoy the independence. Also now both of my kids love showers.
    tiggermom516

Answer by tiggermom516 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• one of my twins did that, she loved bath time then one day screamed bloody murder the whole time. she did for about a week and then suddenly got over it again. when she screamed i had to sit on the side of the tub with my feet in the water and she stood up between my legs for her bath. she got clean and didnt freak as much.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My son went through a phase where he didn't like baths anymore. I gave him a bath one night and told him since mommy put on her swim suit (which I did), he could splash me. He splashed me- thought it was hilarious and now asks to take baths. Its just a phase... it'll pass.
    RileyNoodle

Answer by RileyNoodle at 4:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Maybe he knows going to bed follows it?
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009