All everyone ever talks about with marriage is sex...

What about the legal benefits of marriage? Sure if you want to keep your religious definition of marriage and restrict who can participate, fine. But I'm talking about going down to the court and the legal contract involved.

So what about the following benefits:

- Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
- Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.
- Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
- Making burial or other final arrangements.
- Receiving child support, child custody, and visitation if you separate.

What do any of these have to do with gender, monogamy, or sex? Why would you deny these to anyone?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 11:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• but if a man and woman marry for the legal benefits, why can't two women or two men marry for the same protection? For instance a dear friend of mine is a lesbian and she desperately wants to marry her life partner of 6 yrs so that she can be on her insurance and have access to her bank account and a few other things. They can't even live together in her apt because they're not married....it's stupid. Marraige is marraige. If god didn't want gays roaming the earth, then i guess he should have created us all "equally."
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• - Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
    POA, and this is allowed for non married too. I visited and stayed with my boyfriend in ICU while he was in a coma.
    POA
    POA
    POA
    This is granted to those who are not married too. If a teen and her boyfriend have a baby they can go through the same process as a married couple.

These are not denied to anyone. You can obtain legal documentation for all of this without being married. My stance on Gay marriage isn't religious, or anything other than states make marriage laws.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree completely!
    gay marriage Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i have no problem letting 2 guys or 2 women marry... why shouldnt they beable to experience all the amazing things hetrosexual couples enjoy?
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 11:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I see many reasons for being married--I agree. Every time someone says that a marriage license is just a piece of paper and that they are "happy with their SO" I want to just scream. HOW dumb is that? And I believe in marriage for everyone....everyone.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Marriage is a legal contract. Holy matrimony is a religious. People need to stop saying every thing belongs to religion. Guess what it doesn't. You are so right and I actually agree with you on this post.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Plus, there are plenty of sexless marriages.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well sex is a huge and important part of a marriage..it is kind of high up on the list..of course not under some circumstances though such as health probs and old age..

Anyway..agree with crissy
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• As far as bank accts...you can put anyone you want on your bank acct.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Crissy1213 - Would YOU want to have to go spend a bunch of money on a lawyer to set up Power of Attorney?

1. It costs thousands of dollars in legal fees. A simple marriage license, which usually costs under $100 would cover all the same rights and benefits.

2. Any of these can be challenged in court. As a matter of fact, more wills are challenged than not. In the case of wills, legal spouses always have more legal power than any other family member.

3. Marriage laws are universal. If someone’s husband or wife is injured in an accident, all you need to do is show up and say you’re his or her spouse. You will not be questioned. If you show up at the hospital with your legal paperwork, the employees may not know what to do with you. If you simply say, "He's my husband," you will immediately be taken to your spouse's side.

coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010