At what age do you start teaching the alphabet to your kids?

My daughter is 3, and she doesnt know the alphebet yet. (she just turned 3 a month ago) she hums the alphabet song, but doesnt know the letters to sing it lol so I was wondering, at what age did your kids learn the alphebet?

superm0m877

Asked by superm0m877 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i am teaching my son right now he is 21 months and also teaching him his numbers.
    Truelv21

Answer by Truelv21 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We started singing them their ABC's at birth... Both of our kids knew them by 2...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• im only 20 weeks pregnant and tell my baby simple spellings and the abcs and simple math and history. i talk to it like it was here already and in school lol its never too early in my opinion
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 11:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i BEEN SHOWING MY DD ABC FLASH CARDS SINCE SHE WAS 6 MONTHS AND SHE KNEW THEM BY 2 AND SHES NOW 3 AND CAN WRITE HER NAME AND A FEW WORDS ! i WORKED REALLY HARD WITH HER !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I started singing the song to my DD not too long after she turned one.....she learned certain letters by two and by three she reconginzed all her letters, knew how to write her name and a few other little words. Reading, singing, even every day talking encourages children to learn their letters...
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I always read Dr. Suess' ABC book to my son when he was about 10 months old, then we also sing the abc song as he got older while we brushed teeth, washed hands. He didn't talk til he was 2 and a half, but once he started talking, he picked up everything quick! His little sister is a yr younger, and also learned very quickly while he did. If she's humming it, start singing the letters slowly while brushing teeth. Eventually she'll pick up on it, even if she isn't singing it at the time with you. Once she starts singing it, get some letter flash cards, and sing real slow as you turn the cards over- that's how we taught our 3 and 2 yr old letter recognition! Had it down in 8 days!!! :P Flash cards rock!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I did like Sabrina and started from birth. He could say them at 18 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I was singing the alphabet song at a birth :-) Never to early!
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 12:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I started at birth to, every time we would change a diaper i would sing it to her. She just turned one and can kinda sing along when i sing it lol don't feel bad if you did start when you where pregnant it's good to do it before you have to though! my mom crammed them into me 5 days before kindergarten!
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 12:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• lol i mean didn't**
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 12:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2010