Basic Math?

I've been working to teach my 4yo some basic math (addition & subtraction)... He's doing really well. He can add 1 and 2 to just about any number under 10 without having to stop and count. But I'm wondering where I should stop. How much is "normal" for his age to be able to memorize? How high should I go? +4 or +5 or should I just keep going til he starts showing troubles...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well i dont really know anything about this, but i would say it cant hurt to try no matter how hard your go.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Honestly..I would go until he either got tired of learning it or it was just over his head. It won't hurt to know it. My son could add in his head before he started school and the way the stupid school taught math in 1st grade...messed him up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I BEEN TEACHING MY DD JUST LIKE YOU 1 AND 2 PLUS ANY NUMBER UNDER 10 JUST KEEP THAT UP FOR NOW THEN TRY SUBTRACTING BY 1 AND 2 ....DONT TEACH HIM TO MUCH HE MIGHT BE BORED IN SCHOOL LOL !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well, that's it, he has another year before school, and the school doesn't start math til 1st grade. I don't want him to be to far ahead, but I don't want him to stop learning either... I think it's important...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i would keep going!!! nothing wrong withge!!!!!aving a smart child who is advance for his afe
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 12:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• you know your child best and how well they learn... but please don't dumb down your child just because the public school does, or because he'll be ahead of his class. also does he get the concept or is he just memorizing? Nothing wrong with memorizing, but just make sure he's getting the concept as well... that my opinion atleast :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No, he gets the concept, but at this point he has the little ones memorized - he doesn't have to think about it. I taught concept from the get go, because frankly that's how I learn, so it's how I teach.

My sister was WAY ahead of her class - always. And because of that she would finish her work first and get bored... And my son is a lot like her, so I'm afraid he's going to deal with the same thing... And in school, boredom leads to trouble... So I guess I'm a little wary because of that...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well, I could read very well at 3. By the time I went to Kindergarten, they taught them "A" for an entire week. I was so damn bored. I never recovered. No though, they teach differently and much faster paced. And teachers are more inclined to see that he is smart and ahead and work with him on his level or put him in advanced class.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Good!!! Keep teaching!!! Keep going with anything he will soak in!! If he gets bored in school, see if they can put him ahead a grade or so because you've done excellent with teaching him... I had some people put ahead grades so they wouldn't be bored. Just express your concerns when he goes to school. Add and subtract, follow him! If he knows all you've taught him, keep going!!! It won't hinder him! Good job mom!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• as long as he shows interest
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2010