Where you sad when your baby was born?

I had my first child, a baby boy, 3 weeks ago. As soon as i left the hospital i felt a huge sense of loss, it is hard to explain. I am so happy to have my baby boy, i love to take care of him and feel so lucky. At the same time i feel so sad. I miss so much the feeling of being pregnant, i miss my labor, delivery, nurses and doctor. Sometimes i wish i could go back in time so i would relive every little thing. I cry a lot and dont know what to do.

BraythansMom

Asked by BraythansMom at 12:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um, No. I absolutely hated being pregnant. Maybe it's just your hormones straightening out.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• yeah, its normal tp experience this. Its called post partum blues... and it probably has a lot to do with the huge change from being pregnant to being a mom of a new baby...especially if your a new mom. But also because of hormonal changes as well. If it keeps continuing and you feel even more depressed you may want to look into PPD as well, but most likely its just post partum blues.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Heavens no! I loathed being pregnant and I loathed labor. I was more then happy to get them out and be out of the hospital.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Nope. I was SOOO happy my L&D was over. My youngest was born with the cord in a noose around his neck, so getting to take him home and know he was healthy filled me with joy.

I still remember the first thing I said to him when I held him:

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I cared for you. Now that you're here, I'll love you till my last breath and beyond. I'm SO GLAD you're finally here!"

Not a dry eye in the room, folks. Including the nurses, the pediatric respiratory tech, or the doctor.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is normal to feel sad and cry. What I would do is call your doctor. He or she is the only one that can really tell you if this is normal. "Congrats"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sounds like PPD. I can't say I was sad either time I delivered with the exception of the first time due to having a c-section it made me feel all kinds of emotional sadness but I was always thrilled to have my baby.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is an adjustment , a transition to go from pregnant to not pregnant--hormones drop and you are tired. I loved being pregnant too but I hated being in the hospital. I could hardly wait to get home and sleep in my own bed and not have to be awakened by nurses ,etc. Being home with each of my new babies were always wonderful experiences. I have never wanted to be in a hospital any longer than I had to be. LOL.
    Try to relax and enjoy your baby and get as much sleep as possible. Things will get better!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't think this is PPD. Your hormones are changing and it makes you more emotional. Some women enjoy being pregnant. Either they enjoy the whole pregnacy part of their lives or they love the attention or both. Spend lots of skin to skin time with your baby and nurture a symbiotic relationship with him. Let him sleep on your chest. Spend long hours in bed breastfeeding. Buy a nice sling or wrap and practice attachment parenting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• sounds normal to me. i didn't cry - i hated pregnancy aside from the little things like talking to him - playing games and feeling him move. I miss that and i overly excited for this one to start to move... have been since i found out i was pregnant though lol.

labor kind of sucked but it was more so amazing. the pain and fear and love and gross and i threw up when they told me i was ready to start to push cuz i was nervous... I cant wait to do it again. I loved labor lol! ugh and that i felt like i did a great thing - i did a good job after it was all done and i was moving to the next room where i would stay. Yea i am crying now :| yay for you crying is good. being sad is understandable - a ton of stuff happens before the baby is born - counting the kicks anticipation... yea i say no worries
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I hated almost every min. of being pregnant but I do miss my midwife and even my long labor. The hormones are straitening themselves out and will make you cry over some things that are usually 2nd nature. when you feel sad about those things try holding your child, that makes me feel better b/c I know he is worth every sec of those weird feeling im having but if you just need a good cry then go for it trying to keep it bottled up wont help you or your new baby. good luck and stay strong!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 6:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2010