How can I help my 3yr old not have bedtime accidents?

She stays dry most nights but others she has 'accidents' how can i help her to stay dry all the time? she already goes poty before bed and sometimes even gets up at night to go poty but sometimes she just is too asleep to notice i guess. plus we had an incident two months ago where she woke up in the middle of the night, saw a towel hanging by the door and thought it was a monster -_- screamed, cried and crawled into my bed where she had an accident. i have to leave a nightlight on in the bathroom for her and i make sure there are no more towels lol just in case. so any tips?

ShadowXX

Asked by ShadowXX at 12:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 3 yr old sometimes wake up in the night as well freaked out. usually when he wakes up in the middle of the night not fullly awake I'll take him to the bathroom and try and get him to go... and he usually does have to go. Thats all I can tell you :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• sounds like something more than just not knowing she neeeds to go. i used to have really bad dreams and stuff when i was a child and had accidents in bed all the time. my dad had a night light in my room and left the door open at night. also try not to let her drink anything like a half hour or more before bed. that also helped me as a child. i hope she can get through this!!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 12:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Cut off all drinks after dinner or a few hours before bed time. Have your child go to the bath room before bed.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 12:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There may be nothing you can do because its perfectly normal for bedwetting to happen for awhile. My son was still doing it some when he was 4 and 5 but it became less and less. They're brains aren't mature enough to signal while sleeping that they need to wake up and pee. Just try not to give liquids a fwile before bed and that's really all you can do.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• is she drinking alot before bed? maybe cut that back a little
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree to have a cut off time for no more drinks but I would not tell her. If she knows that she has been cut off, that will only make her thirsty. With that being said, it doesn't sound to me like she has a problem. She does get up most nights and go you said. If it is something that just happens once in awhile or when she has been frightened, I would not stress over it. My daughter is 3 1/2 and has had a few accidents during the day and at night. It is normaly when I do forget to cut off her drinking or forget to have her go potty before bed. But accidents happen, don't sweat it Momma, I am sure she will outgrow it!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• accidents happen! Hopefully she will outgrow it soon.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• This is normal.. Some kids have accidents through grade school.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2010