Would it annoy you if your SO...

Worked from 12-8 mon-sat (supposed to work from 11-8, but works for family so just goes in whenever he rolls out of bed, which is usually around noon).. Then when he came home around 8:30, went straight to the bathroom then when he was done, went straight to the garage EVERYNIGHT to work or his cars and motorcycles? He stays in there for hours on end. When I ask him to spend some time with the family, he just goes to the living room and plays XBOX.. His son is soo excited when he sees daddy come home, he literally runs to the door and jumps up and down yelling "Daddys home! Yay! Daddys home!" (hes 2) But as soon as he comes in he goes bathroom, then comes and sits with fam for a minute, and as soon as son turns head he runs out the back door to the garage. Everytime I say something he gets an attitude and says hes been working all day and that is how he relaxs.. I understand that, but would it kill him to spend family time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• My 3 year old idolizes his daddy! And he's looking out the window when he comes home and is so excited to see his truck pull up. My dh will hug him, put his stuff down and then not much later he's on the phone or the computer. If I throw a fit he'll hang out with the kids (my 9 year old isn't this way). But I guess he's at work 12 hours plus an hour ride each way, so I leave him alone most days. But they just don't realize how much their children want to spend time with them! And they also don't realize the babies won't want to spend time with them forever! They grow up so fast!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• in a way it would be annoying...than there is the old saying...atleast you know where your man is....but I think its good to have my husband give balance to family and hobbies

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• that would annoy me too!!! i deal with my husband leaving at 4 am and n ot getting home until 7 or 8 pm.... and he goes on deployments and trainings for weeks to months at a time!!! have you tried talking to him and asking him to maybe get your 2 year old involved in what he does in the garage???
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 12:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yeah I would definitely be annoyed!!!!! I would be asking him why he can't get his butt outa bed till noon for one and secondly would have to wonder if the reason for waking up late is so that he can do whatever when he comes home from work knowing everyone will be in bed soon after and that the reason he's in bed in the mornings is so that he doesn't have to spend time with the family. I would tell him it is unacceptable!!!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my so can do that sometimes. we own our own business and so he works long hours and when he gets home he just wants to relax. it gets annoying fast. what i do is suggest stuff he can do to relax and spend time with the kids at the same time. for example when he is working on a car, the kids play outside. they arn't involved with him, but they feel like they are because they can watch him and talk to him some. or if he plays xbox the kids play in the living room or watch him. the less i push, the more he does on his own.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 12:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• He doesnt take him in the garage bc he said he dont feel like chasing him the whole time.. Im currently a SAHM, but had to leave my job a few weeks ago bc it was all just too much. He pays the mortgage and G&E bill.. I was paying the phone bill, buying groceries and whatever house hold things we needed.. I would get off work, the house would be a complete mess, my son would be still awake (at midnight), sink full of dishes.. Just craziness. He doesnt clean, cook or want to help with our son bc he said he pays the bills and I stay home so its my job. I ask him to just spend a little bit of time because I bathe our son between 9-9:30 and he is in bed by ten. I ask him nearly everynight to just hang out with us for a bit, spend time with his son.. But when he does stay in the house, he just sits on the couch and plays XBOX.. & If I say anything he gets mad and goes out to the garage.. Dont know what to do anymore...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i know this not what u would like to do but take yr son and u go out to the garage and see if you all can help fix on the car with yr hubby.
    ladydi121

Answer by ladydi121 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would make sure I wasnt home when he got there for a few days. Show him how it feels. Tell him your son is starting to call his uncle daddy or something.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yeah I would be annoyed. He should want to relax with me and the kids. Even if not all night atleast half of the time.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I want to answer this honestly but I don't want to bash my DH either.. And I don't have an anon button.. But I'll say our Dh's have a lot in common. And yes.. its VERY irritating and frustrating.. and it takes a fricken tole on me and the kids..
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2010