How can I get my daughter that is 14 months to get started on potty training? Or am I starting to early?

Lorettanselena

Asked by Lorettanselena at 3:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 13 months and we are starting him, you just have to sit her on it every little while and reward her if she goes potty. and she will eventually learn what to do, and it will take a while so just give it some time.
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 3:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i think 13 months is too early. i dont think he would be old enough to be able to tell you you if he had to go. My son is 13 months old and i couldnt imagine trying to potty train him right now. But if you are successful PLEASE let me know how you did it!!!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• IMO..way, way way too early. Once you start potty training you should never stop. It confusesd them. Girls I would never start before 18 months and only then if I was sure there was real interest on their part. Boys I wouldn't even consider before age 2. I've potty trained 3 boys and 2 girls....just my opinion and my experience talking.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• its too early. the human body is typically incapable of holding bladder or bowels before about 18 mos.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i think if you really want to start toward that process just bring in a potty for him to get use to it being there, then after a while, see if he wants to sit on it with clothes on, later with clothes off, then for longer periods of time. don't rush anything, you can't force a kid to potty train. we also have an open door policy at our house while potty training so that using the potty is a normal thing that everyone does.
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 8:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• sorry, i ment her and she, not him and he :P
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 8:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2008