Why do people think telling you how much worse their problems are is going to help you?

Sometimes you just need to vent. And if they want to vent back fine. But sometimes it seems like they want their problems to be worse. Hope that makes sense!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It does make sense. I get kinda discouraged when that happens .It seems they don't consider what you have to say is that important and they want to top you, minimize your problems. Why can't they just listen?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Maybe to make you feel that your issue isn't that big of a deal. So you might feel better about your situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It's the idea that by comparison your issues aren't that bad... When I'm feeling poor, I watch documentaries about those who are homeless or in third world countries... Always makes me feel better... Not that I feel good for their suffering, but because by comparison I don't have it that bad at all!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'm with Sabrina. No matter how bad your problems are, somebody has it much, much worse. It puts things into perspective.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• most of the time they don't think it will help you, they think that it will make you help them. or it could be that they are trying to show you it could be worse... but most of the time they want to be the one with the worst life ever.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 12:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If other people can make through the same thing or worse then you can too.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• misery loves company
    DoughGirl1985

Answer by DoughGirl1985 at 1:35 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• what if we are venting too?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i think what people might not know is when your shit is big...we can't talk about...instant isolation...and when a question comes up and ask what our stuff might be....do you know how healing that is to finally just say it? and then to think again shame is shifted back again (like now).....

"if you want to be happy for an hour~take a nap. if you want to be happy for a day~go fishing. if you want to be happy for a year~win a lottery. if you want to be happy for a lifetime~help someone. Chinese Proverb
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

This is a really good way to look at it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010