Anyone ever Consolidated there bills? Did it help you?

Anyone know of American General Financial Services? www.agfinance.com
it says they been around 90 years but the BBB has no rating, no complains in 36 months and there not accredited either

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes we use them, we transferred my husbands truck payment to them and took out extra to make repairs on our central air unit for the house. Our local office is great, the girls are so willing to help anytime we have problems. I'm sure we could get a better interest rate now but back then they were a lifesaver for us and the rate was less than we were paying with our old auto finance company. We almost have our account paid off but i would use them again for another loan.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't know anything about American Generals Financial Service-
    But as far as consolidating debt goes- be careful. Most people find that they consolidate the debt and then go right back out there and max out their credit cards.

While it's good to get a lower interest rate- it's even better to figure out what went wrong and fix that so that you don't go back into debt once you get out.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• was also going to mention, we havent done a consolidation loan but years ago when we had gotten in over our heads we went to CCCS and they helped us get out of debt, we cut all our credit cards and made one monthly payment. it took a few years but we got out of the hole and paid everyone off and our credit score looked much better afterwards. They helped us learn to manage our finances better and now we are in control and do really well. sometimes its a matter of learning new methods to work through things. after wards we bought a new car (which is now paid off) and raised our credit score and bought a home a few years ago. If we hadnt gone to CCCS We probably would not have learned how to get ourselves back on track.

ALso opening new loans isnt always a good idea it can look bad and make you look over extended on your credit report which lowers your score.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My husband and I tried to put all our creditcards together and for use it did not work. We started getting letters to sue us and now even letters to appear in court.Now going to have to go the bankrupty route.So I would do my homework and really check out the companies first.Would not want anyone else to go though what we did.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010