what to do with a child who says no to everything?

No matter what question I ask my 21 month son will say no. He has a very good vocabulary and knows how to say yes, but rarely do I hear that.haha. But he says no to everything. Any of you ladies have any advice on how to work with that? Hes very polite and says please, thank you, and your welcome. But he will say no to just about everything.

NicoleAnn26

Asked by NicoleAnn26 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't cave into it. Both of my children went through that phase. If I asked them if they were hungry and got no. I said okay you're not hungry and didn't cave in until they said yes or that they were hungry (just example). When they'd ask me why. I'd tell them that they said that they weren't hungry. It'll pass fast. It's frustrating as all get out though. I know.lol!

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Kids do this when they have been told no too many time. If you learn ways to communicate without saying no then you can get cooperation. Save no and stop for important or emergency situations, running out in the street. Here is a famous article about saying no to toddlers.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• KIds do that. It is just a phase and they will lose interest in saying No eventually. It is no big deal.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Everytime you hear a "NO" then ask "why" or "why not" soon the "no" phase will get old
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Mine is 28 months and she went through that phase briefly. I suggest stop using that word altogeter in front of him. He's probably heard it too much and knows that the word has power and is trying to see how much power it has and reaction when he uses it. Try being more positive and when he uses the word dn't react strongly to it or tell him to stop, it will just continue.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Haha, I know someone who, when the kids say no, turns around and tells them no, like, when she asks them if they want something and they say no she says "well no you can't have it", and then they ALWAYS want it and take it. Although I've never done this myself (we haven't had a lot of no's from my little one)...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my 2 year old says "no i dont want it anymore" or variations like "don't wannit an-e-more" phases :|

I don't give in. - i do not give in to whining either - it's a process but it is beatable
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• stand your ground, who's the boss
    DoughGirl1985

Answer by DoughGirl1985 at 1:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I quit asking yes or no questions. Instead I ask, do you want a waffle or yogurt? Do you want to brush your teeth or do you want mommy to do it? Now she doesn't say "no" as much.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing. SHe does know how to say yes. I wait for her to say yes before giving her what she wants or need.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010