All you Moms out there, I really need some help on this......

I have an 11 yr old child and he can no longer wear boys clothes. He is on the husky side I admit. Due to the fact he has Down's Syndrome he has trouble with zippers, snaps and buttoning. Jeans are popular with boys and he just can't wear them, he needs something with an elastic waist and adult pants are going to be so long. What am I supposed to do when it comes to fall clothes, not to mention adult long sleeve shirts are too long in the sleeves on him.Where can I find clothes for him without spending a fortune?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• YAY! Found it!!! Here you go! http://www.downsdesigns.com/

I should bookmark it while I've got it up too, probably won't be too long before my tiny little guy is going to need special clothes too.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Seems to me that investing in a sewing machine might be a good plan. He will likely always need alterations, and if you can teach yourself to do them, you can go bargain hunting for clothes off the rack or at thrift stores. Also, elastic waist pants and shorts are super easy to make! He could even help you pick out material. Once you find one good pattern, you can crank out a whole bunch of pants and shorts in no time. Sweatpants are very easy to shorten, even by hand - can he wear those to school?
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thrift stores & yard sales and alter them.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Try jcpenny. If you can find the jeans that have the elastic buttons on the inside you could tighten them just enough so he can pull them up and down without un buttoning them. If they dnt have them in his size then maybe buy a pair of jeans that fit him comfortably and take them to a tailor(unless you know how to do it) and have them try and come up with a way to make the button and button snap appear to be fastened but have enough elastic to pull them up and down. Its hard to explain but it can be done.Most tailors should be able to come up w a solution. I sew a little but im great at making things/ideas If you live in GA Id be happy to help. Or just email me if you need more info to try and do it youself. Hope this helps good luck.
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 1:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would find a local support group for parents with Down's Syndrome kids and ask them for advice on this? Start with your local craigslist and check under groups and see if they have a section for this ? Then post the ? on their fourm? I'm sure your not the only one that has had this dilemma and someone that has would be very well suited to answer something like this?

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 1:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• would stussy pants work for him?
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would try looking online a places like JC Pennys, Sears and Old Navy. They're arffordable abd they carry a tin of sizes online. If that doesn't work I would sew clothes myself or ask someone who knows how to sew if they can show you how.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I wish I could remember who it was, but there was someone... maybe a year ago.... who posted in some of the Down Syndrome groups on CafeMom wanting measurements from our children with Down Syndrome because she planned on launching a clothing line just for our kids.... maybe I can go find one of those posts....
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Old Navy is also a good suggestion - they have a great range of sizes and are affordable. Their stuff is cute too - I shop there :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'd learn how to do simple alterations ... hems and shortening the sleeves (it's easier than you think!)
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010