Everything, Idiots, Dummies and Religion...

Is anyone a fan of the Idiot's Guides, For Dummies, or Everything Books besides me??

Have you read any? Which ones do you recommend and WHY? I love ALL religions although I am NOT Christian I am even going to read those...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Dummies guide to Christianity, really? Does that exist (I'm being serious)?
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yeah, I have the Idiots Guide to Christianity... I haven't had a chance to read it yet. But I have it... I flipped through it, not all the points were completely on point... But mostly it looked good.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have the Idiots guide to Philosophy and to Jane Austen, but I don't think I have it for any religion. :(
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• that's interesting. I think I will look for a copy of that.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Just ignore what it says about Jehovah's Witnesses... They get most of it wrong... But books like that usually do!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I like the Idiots and dummies guides, but I had one "Everything" book and was underwhelmed. It was Everything Pregnancy over 35 or something like that. The info was SO general and dumbed down that I didn't feel I learned anything. But I likeyour idea - I am curious about all the religions too, but am not sure where to start. I work at a college that has a class called "Religions of the World." I can look up the title of the textbook if you want. I bet it's a good place to start.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• OK, just took me a minute. Here it is: it's expensive, but maybe you can find it at a library.
    FISHER / LIVING RELIGIONS W/CD / 7TH ED / PRENTICE HALL / ISBN 978-0136141051 / NEW $112.50 / USED $84.50
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There is a great Christian book I always recommend for any one interested. It is not a guide to religion, but rather to a godly relationship. Even if your not Christian it does have a great relationship guide. The name is "Making Marriage a Love Story (God's way)" It is a great book and even Atheist DH loves it. It is by Maureen and Tom Anderson. I haven't read the book you are referring to yet. I do have cooking for dummies though it has great recipes I love those books.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have the Dummies Guide to Buddhism, The Idiots Guide to Taoism, The Idiots Guide to Zen Living and something else but I can't think of what it is. I like them pretty well, they are a good introduction and make it a little easier to go into deeper info about the religions I think.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 3:14 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• blind Idiots Guiding gullible Idiots to Religion...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2010