How old was your child...

When he or she got Chicken Pox? IF they did. My LO just turned 8 months old on the 29th and he has come down with the Chicken Pox bad. He isn't even exposed to other children =( This was day one, and the Dr. counted 24 spots. I have only been able to get him to take two bottles today, no solids. He has been in bed since 9pm but has woken every 30 mins crying for me! Does it get any easier as it goes? How long can it last?

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 1:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• idk. i had chicken pox 3 times - my mom said i cried whenever i woke up because it hurt to move. if bottles dont work try a surrenge and give him as much fluids as you can within reason. solids can wait for now since he is 8 months. just focus on keeping him hydrated. I stocked up on pedalyte when my son got sick. I would ask your doc what else u can do if it goes on for days to supplement nutrition
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• OMG. Has the baby not had the vaccine for it? Both of mine wee vaccinated and thus haven't gotten it. My mom didn't get me the vac when I was younger because she thought it would cause chicken pox and I ended up getting them when I was 23 yrs old and it caused me to miscarry. On top of that Ihave asthma and the dr took one look at me and looked like he'd seen a ghost. He said with the ombo of me having astma and being an adult with chicken pox that there was a likelihood that I could DIE from it!!!!!! He said if it spread to my throat it could swell shut and I would stop breathing and having astma I was already with damadged lungs and narrow passages. I hope the dr gave your baby a med to reduce the itching and swelling!!!! Gl
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It lasts about a week. H may get a very high fever. He will feel hot then cold a lot and will be extremely tired.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No the Dr. didn't give me any meds yet. We have to go back tom for a check up to see how it is developing and right now just giving him Motrin and Benadryl. Also he has not been vaccinated, They don't vaccinate for it until 1 yr. At least not here.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Chicken pox with no exposure?? I would almost recommend a second opinion depending on the rash itself.. My son woke up one morning with what the Dr said looked like Pox- except he has had both vaccines and is 5 yrs old. Turned out to be a viral rash. Happens when certain viruses are done infecting the body. He had a high fever, minimal itching, and the little reddish pink bumps were all over his body. Even his face and backs of his hands.... and if I remember right, children under 1 yr cannot have the vaccine for pox...
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• when i was little my best friend came down with them and my mom had a play date with her because she rather us get them young than older she said the worst of it was over in 2 to3 day's how long has he had them also remember every kid is diffrent.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 1:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thankfully neither of my kids have had it.
    .JessicaRabbit.

Answer by .JessicaRabbit. at 2:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• KariLyn84: I have had three different opinions. First hospital wouldn't even let us see a doctor because the nurse said that there is no way it is chicken pox because two of them were scabbed over and she SWORE that chicken pox don't scab. We went to a second hospital and they confirmed chicken pox and then we saw his regular ped today at Riley Children's Hospital and his two docs there confirmed chicken pox.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my son is 4 and never had them, i had them in 5th grade and i got it really bad
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Hey I read your post to me, that is crazy! :( How on earth does that happen. and so little!? I hope he's doing better soon, thats gotta be rough! :(
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2010