does your kindergardener get grades?

Ds just started a few weeksago and will soon get his first reportcard. The teacher said they don't get A-F grades, they get like "M" for mastering a skill and "U" if they haven't and other letters like like. What do you think of it? Ds practices everyday all of the things they do in school and even though I haven't told him yet, I am planning when the report card comes out, if its really good on giving him a special treat like goingto the park or ice cream or a train ride or something. I want him to know how proud I am of him. He gets progress reports everyday in school and he is always good or excellent! I've asked around to the other parents of kids in his class and they are usually below good and rarely good on the reports. I want ds to know how good he's doing and give him fuel to keep going at it! Do you reward your kids for school stuff?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 2:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son is 2 so Yea i plan too
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• when mine was in kindergarten they either got "appoaching" "meeting": or "exceding"...the only one she every exceded in was PE LOL
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My daughter is going to get a report card as well. And she also gets either "very good" or "excellent" every day, and I just tell her stuff like "good job!" "you're so smart!" and stuff like that. I can't give her treats every day haha!!
    When we get the report card, I am going to do something special to reward her but I don't know if I'm going to keep doing it for every report card, every year. I haven't decided yet!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They both got report cards with similar wording, Outstanding and Meets were the two I remember (my DD is now in 5th grade.) I always review their report cards with them, and if they get straight A's (or Outstandings), I'll buy them something special. If they got a mixture of A's and B's, (O's and M's), I would take them to lunch or dinner to celebrate.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We reward more for behavior and for trying. At my daughter's school, they do the stick thing. They each start the day with 5 sticks of paper on the wall. They pull a stick for misbehaving. Each Friday, we get her weekly behavior report showing how many sticks were pulled. For every week without any sticks pulled, she gets an extra dollar on her allowance. So far, after a month of school, no sticks yet. Could get expensive :-)
    We haven't got the report card yet, but I'm pretty sure in kindergarten they do the other letters too. We plan to reward her for the good ones, or the ones where she's trying. She prefers money so she can get whatever she wants so it'll probably be cash instead of treats.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Mine did , yes. I believe in verbal praise but not buying them something. Good grades are a reflection of learning and becoming skilled. If I constantly "reward" with "things", the need to be self-motivated is diminished. I want my girls to be able to enjoy the good feelings that come with good accomplishments (self esteem), not feel that they're entitled to something for compliance. Every once in a while I surprise them and we all go out for a treat together because everyone did something outstanding or special - but it's not expected at report card time.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:40 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I tell my daughters when they are doing well. I tell them I am proud of them.
    They are expected to do well. It is a great opportunity they have. They also love to do well. I do not need to bribe them to do so.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 9:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No, no letter grades here for kindergarten or first grade. They don't start getting letter grades until 2nd grade.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Our kids didn't get grades in K. We also didn't reward for good grades...my mantra has always been an A is freedom - freedom to choose instead of being chosen. We did, however, make sure they knew how proud we were of them and planned outings for relaxing after a particularly hard week (i.e. testing, finals, etc.) I think you should do what you want with your kids - you might want to keep in mind though, the bigger they get, the more expensive the reward can be! hee hee
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 1:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't reward for good grades either.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010