why does my 9 months old adult content

plays with his penis all the time. even when he is wearing his shorts.is there any problem with him.It is really a big worry & very irritating also.Every time he is holding "it" we show a little bit anger so that he doesn't repeat ( i know he understands only the anger but not the reason)but can u tell is he having some problem or is it normal.if its normal how to deal so that the situation doesn't doesn't get worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its normal - he is exploring. i understand you don't ant him to it too much. i dont think to much of many repetitive actions are good to allow. Anger isnt the right emotion. especially because as you said he doesnt understand why - it up to his interpreation. stop the action and get his mind on something else
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• as far as I've heard, it's completely normal. curiosity and whatnot. my dd notices her vag sometimes. and by notices I mean sits with her finger in or almost in it. I just move her hand. I wouldn't show anger, that'll make them ashamed for something that's totally natural. lol, she's as interested in her belly button, mouth and nose. they're just figuring out their bodies.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 2:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• well my middle child does that. usually there is some itchyness to draw them there. we found out our son had a staff infection that we couldn't see. because of how the skin was layered down there. but alot of boy have an itchyness to certain brands of diapers.. all three of mine had it to pampers. and my middle to huggy. try just changing the brand of diaper and see what happens. it might just be that. good luck
    butterfly1677

Answer by butterfly1677 at 2:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• 1) It is completely normal.
    2) It will probably continue well into his toddler and even preschool years.
    3) Getting angry is not going to stop him. He is too young to understand. When he is older, you can explain that it is not something that is done in public, but in private. For now, ignore it.
    4) The more you "forbid" it, the more attractive it will become.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 2:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Its normal. Ds did it and dd is still doing it occassionally and she's 2. You shouldn't act mad at the baby. Doing so can make him ashamed of his body. He's not doing anything wrong either. To him its like any other part of his body. When he gets older you can explain to him that its ok to touch but not in front of others.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• its normal. i find it cute in a way cause its funny.... put oneies on him so he cant get to it lol
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 2:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Its normal my eight month old grabs his. My two year old plays with his.. haha OMG boys are gross from birth! haha jk. I don't make my kids think I'm angry about it tho, I just move their hands and say no honey its only for wee weeing, and you don't need to touch it unless your using the potty or cleaning it. ( I say it to both, but mostly for my older sons benefit for now) Anyways you don't want them thinking that their penis is some sort of taboo or anything. Just that its not always appropriate to hold. lol.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• its totally normal. you are making not normal by getting angry. He is just a baby, geez. He is learning & exploring. This will continue on throughout the rest of his life. One day, he will realize that it feels good & he will do it on purpose for that very reason. As he gets older you just need to tell him that that is something that he needs to do in private. Don't make such a big deal out of it.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 3:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It's normal.... do everything possible to ignore it..... as he gets older teach him modesty. Also when it comes to public situation, redirect towards another activity, always plan many more actives, games and toys then you should ever need.

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Fun fact: Boys actually start "flogging the dolphin" as early as 28 weeks gestation.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2010