6 year-old's bday party

Ds will be 6 very soon and just started kindergarden a few weeks ago. There are 17 other kids in his class. I want to have a really good party for him because up til now he's only had family members at his party and he needs to socialize more. he's the kind of kid that is super nice to all kids and very well mannered. Seval of the kids in his class are constantly getting in trouble for misbehaving and not listening. He has a best friend who he sits with a lunch everyday but he wants more kids at his party as do I (socializing). He tried making friends with this girl last week by offering her goldfish crackers at lunch(so cute) and she said no and added that she was NOT his friend when he asked her to be(quite rudely too). How do I know which kids to ask to the party? Do I have to invite all? If I invite a few how can I do it so that the others don't feel left out or get mad at ds?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 3:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You do not have to invite everyone. No school can make that rule. The school can ask you not to pass invites out in the classroom. Does the school give out a parent directory? I would just ask his teacher for a class list, and have your son choose who he wants to invite. Send the invites via US Mail if you have a directory.

I taught, and there were kids who would invite the whole class, and kids who would invite a select few. They did not pass out invites at school, but they would talk about the party of course. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you want to have a real party outside of school, you could invite the whole class - from the way you describe your son, this would respect the way he treats all people with kindness.
    If you don't want to invite the whole class but want to avoid hurt feelings, you could invite just the boys.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Most schools require you to invite the entire class if you hand out invites at the school. Also inviting the entire class doesn't meet they will all show. At that age if 5 or 6 show you will be doing good. As for any worrisome guests, just have fun with the party and let their parents worry about them. For all you know little miss "playing hard to get" will show up and find out what a wonderful child you have.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• as a child my dad always brought cupcakes to my class and everyone would sing happy birthday to me. it included everyone and the teacher would do it right before recess so we got a good snack and then got to play! ask the teacher if you can do something like this.... that way you dont hurt any kids feelings. once your kid is older it may be easier to have actual parties cause your child can make own decision to invite who they want too
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 3:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you have a parent roster, get the addresses from there and invite the children he gets along with. Most schools do require an invite for all students of you send them in.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They do allow the whole cupcake thing. There have already been 2 kids have parties in the classroom and the parents brought cupcakes. I was planning on doing that too, but wanted to have a REAL party outside of school as well. The cupcake thing wont be that special really because all of the kids are doingit and I want ds to have something extra special where they can play and be kids. Also, his bday is the day before school lets out for Christmas break which is 17 days long!!!! I thought what better way to kick off the break with a bday party?!
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 3:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010