What do you do about menstrual cramps?

I had horrible ones the first few years of womanhood, then they stopped and I didn't have them again until post baby #2. Ever since then they're really bad. Tylenol doesn't phase them nor does Motrin. These drugs used to work and I know its not because I overused them and built up a tolerance because I think if you added up all the Tylenol and Motrin I've had my entire life it MAY equal one bottle of each. Anyways, does anyone have any good tips on getting rid of the cramps? They are also accompanied by headaches and feeling like I am freezing and oddly enough my knees start hurting really bad a few days before. Then when it comes I ache from uterus to legs.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 3:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Health

• I have really bad cramps when it comes to that time of the month. I really just have to take it easy like the day before i start. While i am on my period i stay active cause the more active my body is the easier it is to just allow my body to just get though these horrible 5-7 days. Have you spoke with your OB i would start there feeling like shit and having the pain go with it in all SUCKS i am so feeling you momma. Make a appt with your doctor and then see what they have to say. GL and I hope these cramps go away for you.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I always liked Pamprin. I went thru a similar thing with the cramps thing. When I started exercising the periods and cramps got easier. but with inescapable bad cramps, try a heating blanket on your stomach and lay as strait as you can. Balling yourself up makes it worse. Good luck and I'm sorry. I would check on the legs cramping too, that doesn't sound right.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 5:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ibuprofen

Answer by louise2 at 6:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ibuprofen is the ONLY thing that works for me. If Motrin doesn't work, then try a different brand of Ibuprofen. I get them really bad on certain days and they go away when I take it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would make an appointment with your OB. I have endometriosis so my periods are extremely rough on me. The doctor prescribed me Tramadol and I must say it works wonders. Its not a strong pain killer like Percocet, etc but it works just the same.
    genuinelyblessd

Answer by genuinelyblessd at 7:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I take 800 mg of Motrin, (doc recommended this dosage, it's 4 pills). I'll also use a heating pad, or do sit ups. You should talk to your doctor about this at your next appointment as well, he/she may have some other ideas.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I alternate between a heating pad & using BioFreeze (I rub it on my hips & belly), and I also take 800mg of Ibuprofen. I don't know how many doctors are open to trying alternative "drugs" for relief, but I noticed, due to being ill a few times, that if I was on a short burst of oral steroids right before my period was due the cramps were almost nothing - I mentioned it to my normal doc and she said it wasn't something we can do every month but she thought it was pretty cool that I got that relief due to having sinus infections, lol. Honestly though, if the cramps are really that bad, talk to your doctor - there may be a reason they got so bad and there are things you can do about it.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I know this is the last thing you want to do when you are in pain, but exercise really does help a lot.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• heating pad
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 3:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2010