Natural Delievery with NO MEDICATION???

Hi, Im currently 36 weeks Pregnant and I plan to Have natural Birth With no Med's. I've heard the Horror Stories and The The stories of its Not that Bad. I havent taken any classes for relaxing and Breathing techniqes or anything. This is my first pregnancy and Im really torn, I DO NOT want the epidural, I already retain fluid in my lower back and causes me problems I dont want to add to them. Has anyone Had a No Med Natural Birth? If so How did It go and Would you do it again? Im pretty much set On what I want, I would just like to know how other people felt about it. I had a woman tell me only 10% of women who give birth go with no meds and usually its because its to late...lol...My plan is to say no til its to late then Ill just be screwed.lol

LovingThem2710

Asked by LovingThem2710 at 4:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a natural childbirth. It was painful, not gonna lie. But it is do-able. You just have to mentally prepare yourself. Do the breathing exercises & all, but mainly just know that you CAN do it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 4:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I didn't have a totally med free birth, I used gas&air and tens machine, the TENS was great really worked for me and the gas was a gd distraction. I think you have to keep open minded and see how it progresses, hopefully you will get the birth you want but you never know how things will go and things can change very quickly during the labour/birth.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had one with no meds and it was totally fine. Its gonna feel like some seriously bad menstrual cramps that keep geting worse. Just keep telling yourself that the pain will soon be over. Its really mind over matter. that's how I got through it. Knowing it would be over soon. Also when you opt for med free birth its way easier to push and it speeds along faster. The worst part is when the baby starts to crown. It really does feel like a water,elon trying to come out. But just relax cause once the head and shoulders are out its slip and slide from there!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My labor went so fast that there wasnt time for meds! It was painful, dont get me wrong, but it is honesly doable. I just kept telling myself this will all be over and i'll have my baby in my arms. Like the above poster, its like bad period cramps, but times it by 100! The pushing was painful as she came out. But once she was out, the pain instantly stopped!
    I am a nurse and I can tell you everyone has difference tolerance for pain. Everyone's labor is also very different. Go in with the expectation of having a baby. What happens, pain wise, during the labor, you take as it comes!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 4:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I went in with the mind of if i can do no meds then i will and i did great up until i hit 6 cm and i lost focus. I am a 4'10" when i delievered i weighted 122 lbs. The pain was like nothing i have ever felt before and it wasn't like having bad cramps i thought my asshole was gonna explode and my baby wasn't ever gonna come out i pushed for 4 1/2 hours and ya i did it and would I do it again ya but unfortuely i can't and decided not to have anymore for the fact that i have 2 other step-children and we have our DD and I will be 33 and I have had problems down there my whole teen and adult life that it was a mircle I had my DD.
    Momma I think you should think about going in there with a wide opened mind and stay focus on your breathing in though your nose out though your mouth remember that and you should get there. Think about when all this pain is over with you will be holding your baby. All of it is so worth it. It really is.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No one said childbirth was easy, but women are STRONG.

It is hard. But it is possible. I think if that is what your'e set on, you should absolutely do it! And no one's gonna be mad if you change your mind either!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Also good luck to you. Keep an open mind if you believe in yourself you will do it. Don't think that you can or can't.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My first was with meds. But they had to start taking me off because of a couple of reasons. I could feel him, but it didn't hurt if that makes any sense. I was in labor for 21hrs. My second came too quick 3hrs from beginning to end, so no meds. It hurt like hell. My kids are less than a yr apart so I was still stretched, or so I was told. I was also told that it would have hurt worse had I not been. I've talked to a lot of moms and its different for all of them. When the time comes, you'll know.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 4:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i had one and it was completely pain free til 30 minutes before birth. each contraction just felt like my belly getting firm. the pain hit when she hit the canal and the contractions were in my butt and it just felt like i was holding a huge poop (that was very painful) here's the thing though i had/have very strong ab muscles. i would do ab exercises and lift up to 60 lbs for an hour with my abs daily for all nine months and i think my strong abs absorbed the pain and pushed the baby out cause i was only in labor for a few hours and she was out in 5 pushes.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes 5 times. Yes it's painful, but it allows you to listen to your body.Just breathe , focus and relax. href="http://babies.sutterhealth.org/laboranddelivery/labor/ld_breathe.html">http://babies.sutterhealth.org/laboranddelivery/labor/ld_breathe.html this might help. Walk as much as possible for as long as you can. this also helps to keep labor flowing along. Yes about every five minutes you will have a contraction and have to breathe that's when you lean on your birthing partner. DH or SO or even a close friend. The pain is bad and intense I'll not lie, but you forget all about it once it's over and hold that dear little one closer to you. Whatever you do don't fight it, go with it. The main plus side is the recovery time for Mom and baby. You can get up and walk almost right away and take care of the little one. I was lucky with my first 4 I had a doctor that was all about natural birth.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2010