I don't know what else to do to help my baby...

My son is 20 months old and we are going on a week and a half of a TERRIBLE cough/cold. I took him in last friday and they put him on antibiotics but said they weren't sure if it was pneumonia or viral. Well the next day he was wheezing and his chest was rattling so bad. We have a neubulizer machine at home b/c he is very prone to getting pneumonia and bronchitis when the weather seems to change suddenly (and it has, I live in OK) So we have been doing albuterol treatments, vicks, humidifier, saline and bulb on his nose and my poor lil guy has yet to get any sleep tonight and neither have I. I plan to go back to dr in morning if he is this bad still. Am i missing something I could be doing to help him? I just stood over him and cried and prayed over him to get some sleep and held him tight as well. Its just breaking my heart tonight. :(

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 5:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might be over thinking this. It might be just a cold. Kids get sick. And then they get better.

Answer by louise2 at 5:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Go with your gut. You know something is wrong, you know your child better then anyone else. Take him back tomorrow and push for answers. Prayers and hugs momma.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• you could try taking him into the bathroom and turning on the shower. the hot steam might help him to breath better. i know how you feel. my son was 9 months old hen he got croup and pneumonia at the sametime
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 6:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is so rough when they are little and have these problems. I used a humidifier, and took my kids in the bathroom and steamed it up good, then they usually calmed down and it got better enough to get sleep. Sometimes I took them to the emergency room and got breathing treatments. They grow out of it, but it takes a while. Its very upsetting. The medication makes them hyper. Maybe the bug is resistant to the antibiotics, or they take a while to work. I remember my older son was on ceclor all the time when he was little seemed like for ear infections. having a support system and other people to do the every day errands helped me to concentrate on my kids too.
    kendragarten

Answer by kendragarten at 8:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my daughter was diagnosed with asthma at 7 mths... you can avoid certain foods for him to cut down on the wheezing such as milk, eggs, and orange juice... idk if this will help with wheezing that is not caused by asthma but it couldnt hurt to try...
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• What I would do is put Vicks on his Feet. Not really on his feet. The feet absorb a lot faster then the chest. Put socks on and sit with him in the bathroom. Turn the hot shower on, not just the faucet, but the shower. Let it run and let the steam fill the air. Put a towel at the bottom of the door to keep the air from escaping. Now I know you've done breathing treatments and what-not.. But sometimes just the constant moisture in one space can really help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010