Is your child a critical thinker?

I sometimes worry about my DD's critical thinking skills. I know DD is very smart, she just has a problem thinking on her own. If you tell her xyz she will most likely remember it. (Unless your telling her to do a chore. Then she has tunnel vision) But if you tell her zy and wait for her to come to the conclusion of z, well thats that problem. She doesn't think things through to a logical end. She's 8 yrs old so not sure if I should worry about it, talk to her teacher about it, or even her doctor. Yesterday we had to explain 5 times about the options on her school picture packet. She thought you had to pay for every pose. When we said there are choices of how many pictures to buy, she didn't get it. She had some idea in her mind that you paid for a pose and it was $21 dollars and thats that. She wouldn't think it through after we told her she was wrong.

cont...

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• She is also forgetful. If you tell her 3 things to do, she will come back with 2 maybe completed. She gets very distracted. If she gets something in her head, its very hard to convince her she is wrong.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 5:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• But if you tell her xy and wait for her to come to the conclusion of z, well thats that problem.
    _______

Sorry correction!
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 5:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My 9 yrs old SD is some what like that she is just very strong minded she is just plain out in never never land. If you tell her to go clean up her room and make her bed she will come back in 20 minutes and say "i put all my dirty clothes in the hamper I'm done". Then you go in her room and her room looks twice as bad as it did when you sent her in there and he bed isn't made. She plays dumb A LOT. I thought it was just the age but know I am beginning to think that her understanding and comphetion skills need to be worked on. School will be testing her in a few weeks and then we have a doctors appt to get some testing done also.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think it is because she is a child still growing.

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i dont know. my sister is 19 and still has that problem. she'll have to ask the same question a million times to understand, if she does at the end. they say her brain needs more time to mature.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yeah I know DD plays dumb sometimes so that I'll do things for her. But I can normally catch it. Like yesterday she wanted to tie her shoes because she says "I'm not good at it". Of course I didn't do it for her. She knows better. She just likes to be treated like a baby sometimes.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 6:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Wanted me to*
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 6:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• has her teacher noticed this at school? I would ask. then maybe bring it up to the dr. however, the drs are so quick to label someone and give them meds that I would be worried about that.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i still see some of that in my 13yo, it may just be the age, you know? It might be worth mentioning to the teacher at the next conference, just to get their take on the situation.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think some of it is being a child. My 10 year old has no problem drawing inferences and coming to conclusions, but he has a very "old soul" and is mature for his age. My 9 year old on the other hand - she's very flighty! Some of it is just their personalities - he's calmer and more stable, she's very dramatic. And my mother (who raised 2 girls and 3 boys) said some of it is just little girl vs little boy. If you think there's problem, then by all means discuss it with her teacher(s) and pediatrician; they can give you more educated information and point you towards help or set your mind at ease.

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010