Do you find that internet rules are largely based on the Honor System?

once you think about it?

There's only so much the rule makers can do to prevent, control, verify anything strangers they can't physically see from doing.

Not saying they don't need rules, it just occurred to me how fragile they are and how easy it would be to go around them in reality. In real life, you can see them, check authenticity, etc, but online... its just a 'take your word for it' thing.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree! Like on here, there is no way of proving that you are a mom, that you have any children or the number, gender and ages of said children--since you don;t have to post photos of yourself or your children. And a site like this is a great place to "reinvent yourself" (be someone you are not) time and time again--how is anyone to know?!

I too are quite different in real life than on here! I come here to vent and be somewhat anti-PC--especially in the P &CE section!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Of course. I don't behave any differently IRL than I do online. The golden rule applies - treat others as you'd want to be treated
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You know if you think about it. It goes for a lot of rules in a lot of places. My step-mom use to say, "Rules only keep the honest people honest." If someone is going to break the rules, they will always find a way around them.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I never thought about it, but you're right. I belonged to a site that physically verified their members (drivers license, call-back phones, etc.), but generally speaking most do not.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• That is true.

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Whats the point of making rules that can't be verified then? There's no physical barrier keeping undesirables out.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2010