Was this the right thing to do or should I have sent her home to her own mom?

My DDs friend couldnt sleep on the sleepover, so I stayed up with her and tried to make her feel better about what was bothering her. My DD was zonked out cold. Eventually the friend did get tired and sleep, but I couldn't help wondering if I'd just trespassed onto her mother's turf.

Actually my DH was the first one to notice she was up and tried to comfort her with words, but felt it would look better if I spoke to her instead, since she's a teenager and people get the wrong ideas for nothing.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• You talking to her may have been the best thing! :)
    Alot of kids dont feel like they can talk to their parents (as much as we dont want to admit it) and some one elses parents are sometimes perfect for the job.. I know I had friends growing up that I felt 10x better talking to their mom!
    Others mom are "outside" the family & can discuss things more openly... Kids are afraid of being judged or punished in some way by their parents..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think you did the right thing. Even if she didnt really talk about anything imporant, something was bothering her, & either you talked to her about it, or you got her mind off of it long enough to get some sleep;...

If that was my daughter Id be greatful that another mom cared enough to sit and talk with her...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i think what you did was fine. maybe she just needed someone to talk to outside her family.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 6:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would be very upset if my dd was upset and someone just sent her home instead of talking to her. I'm sure that would make her feel much worse!
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 6:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You absolutely did the right thing there.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:35 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You did fine. If she asked to go home and you didn't call her mom, then I would say you over stepped but just sitting up talking to her was a very kind thing to do.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think what you did was absolutely fine!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i agree you did well. she probly just not use to bein away from home or something
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You did a very nice thing and I would have greatly appreciated it if she were my DD.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think you did the right thing. You were the adult who was right there and you listened. I hope it went well.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010