I am 23 and want to get my tubes tied after I have baby # 2...

(I am not pregnant yet but we are trying) I was wondering about it....I heard you can get it done right after you have a baby is that true? Does it take longer to heal after you have a baby if you have that done too? Any advise is welcome :) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Health

• Here is a website for the PTLS

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• My sister was 23 when she had her second child. She had this done right after delivery. I do not think her recovery was any more difficult than if she has just had the baby.
    The doctor is question her as to if this is what she really wanted, as she was only 23, but she insisted that two children was enough. She has not regretted it.l
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It's all up to your doctor. I was 27 and just had my 3rd and my doctor wouldn't do it for 6 weeks. It can be done right after delivery and I don't think there are any more side effects than waiting. You need to talk to your doctor ASAP and find out their policies on this. Some might not do it because of your age. If your doctor won't do what you want, shop around for another doctor. All their policies are different.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I was going to get mine tied after twin boys...but eight years later, I've got myself a little girl! I wouldn't do it. You may change your mind and if you do, it'll be devastating to know you can't have another.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have heard some scary things about getting tubes tied. I have had MANY women in my real life and on CM tell me that it can make your periods unbearable!! Super heavy and cramps out of this world.

I did my part! I have carried three children healthy and beautiful to term.....NOW its my dh turn! One little procedure :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree with mom2twobabes. I have heard horror stories. From my own mother as well. The procedure is. A lot safer for men anyway. Let your husband handle this one.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Talk to your doctor. Some will do a tubal right after delivery but some won't. Also Google PTLS. It is very real and many women suffer from it. Plus with tubal ligations and vasectomies they can self reverse without your knowledge. I highly recommend Essure.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't know how they do it with vaginal deliveries-- if they wait or can do it that day. My 3rd was born via c-section and right after he was born the doctor went in and did my tubal. I think you should talk to your doctor and find out all the facts about a tubal, ask about Essure and see what you think would be best for you. Also with your age they may not do it. At my local hospital they will not do it on anyone under the age of 29-- unless it is a medical necessity. (I think they are afraid of people changing their minds or regretting it).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010