overweight daughter?(7 yrs)

My daughter will be 7 in December. She weighs 69lbs which is in the 90th percentile for her weight. And is 3ft 4in. Which puts her at 30th % for height.

She is chunky and always has been since birth. I enforce healthy eating, no soda, no junk food, ect ect. She is in sports, she has done volleyball soccer swim lessons and cheer leading. Soccer season is getting ready to start again, and she is in tumbling as well. What am I doning wrong?? What else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just keep doing what you're doing. everybody (and every body) is different. don't COMPLETELY deprive your daughter of the fun foods.... thats what makes a kid. just limit it to maybe once a week? how are her portions? she may be eating healthy, but even with healthy food, if you eat too much of it, it's not a good thing.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• has she had any testing done to see if she has any kind of thyroid problem? and how much do you feed her? you can get fat off of healthy food if you eat too much of it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• What you think is healty food may not be healthy and she may be eating too big of portions and too many calories a day. She should drink only water; no milk, juice, or artificial sweeteners. For school lunch if she can't get water send a bottle of water with her. You may want to do something to try and get the school to have water available for the kids to drink since all kids should be drinking water.

You can keep a food diary for a few days to get a true picture. You can find things online to help analyze her diet. If you go to google and type in superfoods you can find lists of foods that are good for her to eat. She doesn't need to drink milk. Drinking milk is linked to obesity. There is cheese that is lower fat. Kids like foods with milk and can get their 2 servings a day from milk products and foods.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:35 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Don't focus on her weight. Make sure you aren't pushing her into so much activity and athletics. She may pick up on the fact that you think something is "wrong" with her and are trying to change her somehow which is going to be a detriment rather than a help. Just watch the hidden calories especially in the form of beverages (anything but water) and munching out of boredom or habit. Make sure the foods you give are indeed heathy ones, read labels like a mad person. Be careful in the ways you speak to her about diet and exercise. Children of this age with a weight problem are always feeling it at school more than they are at home anyway. What she needs from you is positive reinforcement not the feeling that there is one more person on her about her weight.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sometimes it's not just what someone is eating, but it's also how much. Check portions.
    Take walks together after dinner ... this will give the two of you a chance to have some nice time being active together instead of her just doing activities.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Have her checked out for a thyroid issue just to be safe.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Take her to the doc.
    First, please dont make her weight an issue. It can cause self-esteem issues(been there so im speaking from experience).
    Next, breathe. As a PP said, Not every body is the same. I have 3 boys and 2 are very skinny(they even look malnourished at times). My oldest however is overweight for his age. Chunky.
    When I took him to the doc I was re-assured that I wasnt "doing anything wrong" per se. I did need to cut whole milk out of his diet. Once I had done that he stopped looking so "bloated". I have worked on his portions and Im making sure he still gets plenty of excercise.

Keep doing what your doing, talk to a doctor, and breathe mom.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• She will keep growing and changing. Just focus on health and not weight. The less processed the foods the better. Try and watch the carbs and have alot of fresh fruits and vegatables ready to eat. Another thing is to think of fun ways to increase her activity levels, walks in parks, biking, hiking etc. It will all be fine just don't fixate on it. Hugs !! :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• SPEAK WITH YOUR DOCTOR!!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree with all of the other ladies. Maybe you should take her to the doctor and get some tests done. She may have issues with her thyroid. I know my mother has a thyroid disease and she's been chunky her entire life, despite how much she exercises or eats.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010